Elimination

I continued walking, the file in my hands, my mind swirling with thoughts. I wasn't quite sure how I could begin to grasp the overview of this situation. It was so complicated; the people involved, the motives, the information. I needed to figure out what questions I could answer, and which ones I couldn't. I had to know about every asset, every detail and location. In order to find the answer to the equation, I had to know the all the variables and numbers.

I reached the bunk room and heard a rythmatic tapping of keys. I peeked over at a chair and saw Skye sitting with her back to me, typing away at her laptop.

I decided not to disturb her and quietly tiptoed to my cot slot. My bag was on the open corner not shielded by the curtain. I set the file on the mattress and climbed into the unseen corner, crisscrossing my legs in front of me. I took the file back in my hands and opened it, the papers splaying across my lap. I took advantage of the privacy of the corner and the quietness, aside from Skye's tapping, and used it to maintain focus and begin reading.

I started with Fields's homelife. If the biography was correct, she was native to the urban areas of Arizona. Her parents were common middle classmen; her mother was a school teacher and her father an operative in government statistics. Nothing major on her childhood, no criminal records (excluding a schoolyard fistfight in 2nd grade), graduated with honors from a public high school, and eventually attended a private college in Texas, majoring in Investigative Sciences and Law Enforcement.

I shook my head. The girl is literally the poster child for American Education. What on earth could have possibly provoked her to betray the top government organization in the country?

I advanced on to her history with SHIELD. She was recruited when she was 26, working for the FBI as an Investigative Researcher. She started at the bottom as just an assistant for intelligence operatives, but quickly worked her way up. Her most recent position was Assistant Executive Investigative Officer. 

I read on about her friends, co-workers, and past assignments. She was thoroughly liked throughout her division and apparently hadn't made any enemies. Any case she closed had no whiplash effects and were never made active again. No one was out to get her. No one ever filed a complaint. She did her job and went home. No wonder no one suspected anything.

I sighed. Then what was her motive to sell this information? Money? Maybe, but that cant be all. She got paid well enough with this job. It not money, then what else? Revenge? There could be so many reasons. Aside from why she sold it, another question is who she sold it to. And what they could do with it. All the questions led back to the case. The escapee. So many questions, and almost 90% could be answered by the case file. 

I rubbed my eyes. Without that case file, this was going to be difficult. 

The curtain to my left swooshed, startling me a little bit. Skye poked her head in.

"Hey."

"Hey," I replied.

"Watchya doin'?"

"Just doing the back reading", I said, gesturing to the file in my lap. 

"Ah," she said as she sat down at my feet. "Coulson already put you to work."

I shrugged. "Its.....complicated. I need to know more about this case she worked on, but just my luck, its classified."

"Oh," she replied, glancing down. "How bad do you need that file?"

"Uh, considering the circumstances, more than this jet needs fuel," I said. "Why?"

"Do you know what I did before I joined SHIELD?", she asked. 

'No."

"I hacked into SHIELD.'

Her comment surprised me. She was more of a rebel than I thought. Wait...

"You're not thinking of...."

"Yes," she cut me off. 

She quickly scrambled off the bed. I closed the file and followed her. She picked her computer up from the chair and sat on the couch. I sat next to her as she turned it on. The screen was blank until she quickly brought up the SHIELD server.

"You're sure we won't get caught?", I said glancing at her.

"Not if I'm careful", she replied, not looking away from the screen. She typed away at the keys, the screen quickly switching from screen to screen.

"Just let me take down the firewall......done," she said.

A SHIELD search bar appeared on the screen. 

"We have exactly ten minutes from....now," she said as she set a timer on her watch. "Then they'll know we're in the system".

"Okay," I said. "Search for Rosette Fields, and the last case she worked on should come up."

Skye quickly typed it in. The first blue link said CLASSIFIED: ENHANCED LIST SUBJECT 65A BREAKOUT

"That's it," I said pointing to it. 

She clicked on it and there was another link atop information. It said 65A PROFILE.

"Click that," I said.

She opened the link and a profile was brought up. On the top left was the photo of a boy, maybe 16 years of age in a mugshot. The name said Richards, Peter L. I quickly skimmed the page.

My eyes opened wide as I read a certain sentence. 

"He murdered his parents, " I whispered. 

"And he's powered with Telecognation, whatever that is," Skye said. 

That's why they didn't want him getting out, I thought.

We both froze when we came across the big, bold, red words at the bottom of the screen.

Highly Dangerous. Eliminate At All Costs.