Jake and Angela

"Fired?" Abigail demanded over her salad.

Angela looked around at the few others in the restaurant who had looked their way at her friend's outburst.

"Calm down." she said taking a sip of her diet cola. "They called it a lay off. They sent seven of us home today."

Both women sat in silence a moment. Finally Angela broke the silence."What the hell is wrong with me?" she demanded. "How did things turn out this way? I moved to New York seven years ago hoping for a successful career working for a magazine company and instead I'm twenty-six years old, sitting in a fast food restaurant, eating lunch after being fired form a freaking sewing factory."

"First of all you were laid off not fired, remember?" Abigail reminded her and Angela laughed despite herself. "Second you are far too sweet a person to ever make it in that cut throat career field and third you happen to have an incredibly hot boyfriend who also happens to be very rich."

"That's about all he's got going for him." Angela mumbled.

Abigail took a sip of her water and raised an eyebrow. "Trouble in paradise?'

"I don't know... We don't see each other much now a days." Angela replied taking a bite of her cheeseburger.

"Why not?" Abigail asked.

"I don't know. He seems to be avoiding me for some reason."

"You've been with the man for three years and he's avoiding you?" Abigail demanded. "What you need to do is go down to his office and say hello."

"No." Angela said quickly. "I don't want to seem too clingy."

"Clingy?" Abigail frowed. "Okay, then take him some coffee to work. That way you're doting instead of clingy and you can get him to tell you exactly what's going on." Abigail looked at her watch. "I gotta get back to the shop. You going to be okay?"

Angela smiled and nodded. "I'll be fine. I may go up and see Tyler after all."

Abigail stood and kissed Angela's cheek. "I'm a phone call away if you need me." With that Abigail sashayed out the door.

Angela watched her friend and felt a twinge of jealousy. Abigail was tall and slender. In her short skirts and tank tops she had the attention of every man around. Add to that her light blond hair, blue eyes and tanned skin and Abigail was a knockout.

Angela on the other hand was average height, overweight, pale skinned, brown eyed and dark haired. She had never been accused of being beautiful, not even by Tyler.

She sighed and stood gathering up the trash and throwing it away. She walked out the doors and never noticed the dark, golden eyes watching her from the corner.

888

Jake sat breathing deeply and working hard to calm his racing heartbeat. He had never had such a strong pull to any woman before. Just the sight of the dark-haired beauty had him coming undone. He flared his nostrils filling them with her lilac and vanilla scent.

Jake knew he had to get control of himself. The creature within him wanted to run after the woman and claim her as his own. 'Go to the mate,' it kept screaming at him. But that was impossible. His mate could not be a mortal.

There weren't many of his kind but surely his mate had to be one of those. Mortals were so fragile... and a mortal woman could refuse him.

He pushed the creature back down and felt his heart rate slowing. He quickly stood and left the restaurant. The woman's scent was too strong in the small building, somehow overpowering the scents of frying food and grease.