Chapter Seven

"You're lucky, Angela. Jake really loves you." Bethany stated as Angela went about unpacking her suitcase.

"What makes you think he loves me?" she asked, her heart skipping at the thought. Neither Jake nor Angela had said those words to each other yet unless you counted Jake's sound asleep confession in her bed that one night.

"Oh please" Bethany said sitting down on the bed and stretching out her long tan legs. "First there's the way he looks at you, kisses you, touches you... He loves you."

"No. I'm just his mate and he...."

"Don't even. Greg and I are mates but we don't love each other. It took Jordan and Kent years before they could even stand to be in the same room together. Of course Raquel and Evan were like you and Jake. Love at first sight hence we have the two little munchkins."

"You really think he loves me?" Angela asked again losing herself in the memories of his kisses and touches and the way he held her every night

"Yes which makes me curious why he hasn't completely mated to you yet." Bethany said without thinking. She quickly realized she had just blabbed too much and stood up shaking out her blond mane of hair. "I'll just leave you to unpack." she stated, starting for the door.

Angela stood in her way. "What do you mean hasn't fully mated to me yet?" she asked. "Trust me we've mated."

Bethany laughed. "I have no doubt that you and my brother have done that." she said, rolling her eyes. "I shouldn't really be talking to you about this. Jake would kill me if he knew I'd opened my mouth."

"Too late now. Answer me or I'll....." Angela stopped talking realizing she was trying to threaten a werewolf who could probably pull her head off without even breaking a fingernail.

Bethany seemed to realize it too and crossed her long slender arms over her ample chest and smiled. "You'll what?" she asked.

Angela chewed on her bottom lip for a moment before responding. "I'll tell Jake." she warned. She saw the fear that crossed Bethany's eyes and knew she had found her weak point.

"In order to fully mate there is a certain phrase that you would both have to say while um....mating. A few tiny steps immediately follow that and then you are fully mated."

"What happens then? What's the difference between being mates and being fully mated?"

"Jake should really be the one telling you about this..." Bethany replied uncertainly.

"I wonder how quick Jake would get here if I screamed...." Angela questioned, moving closer to the open window.

"No don't..." Bethany pleaded. "You pain in the ass little mortal! No wonder Jake loves you. You're as mean as he is."

"Why wouldn't Jake want to tell me about this?" Angela asked.

"Probably afraid of scaring you away." Bethany replied. "Once you were fully mated you would become immortal. And your life would be completely bound to his and his life completely bound to yours."

"Meaning?" Angela inquired.

"Meaning that neither of you could live without the other. Once a couple has fully mated they live together and they die together. Frankly that's why I've never fully mated to Greg. I mean I'm fond of him and the sex is great but I could live without him."

"How dare he keep that from me." Angela said, ignoring Bethany's last comment.

"I've never seen Jake afraid, Angela, and he's afraid of this. He's afraid of losing you. He probably thinks you'll run away screaming and he'll never see you again."