Chapter Eight

A week later Jake and Angela were sitting together on the front porch waiting for her parents to pull in. Most of the family was gone to school and work but Rebecca, Raquel, Bethany and Greg were home . Lane had been gone for weeks, but when Angela had seemed concerned, Jake had ensured her that that was perfectly normal for his younger brother, and that Lane was probably off at some casino losing all his money and getting into trouble.

Everyone that was at home had agreed to stay in the house until Angela was ready to introduce them all but Angela was still shaking all over and dreading this moment as much as she was looking forward to it. She was so nervous that her mother was going to insult someone and, although Jake's family members had much better tempers than he did, they were still wolves and prone to protective and defensive behavior. Unfortunately her mother had a way of pulling that nature out of everyone she met.

"I hear them coming." Jake said, interrupting the silence, and after a few moments Angela could hear them too. The broken exhaust on her father's beat up truck was signaling their approach.

Angela rushed off the porch to greet her father as the truck came to a stop in front of the house.

Max got out of the truck and hugged his daughter warmly. "Hello, my Angel."

"Hi daddy." she replied. Georgia had yet to get out of the truck. She was staring in slack jawed amazement at the three story log mansion.

Jake walked over and opened her door. "Allow me to help you, Mrs. Walker." he said holding out his hand. She took it and stepped out of the truck.

"Is this your home?" she asked.

Jake nodded. "One of them." he replied.

She blinked several times as if trying to comprehend what he was saying. "How many do you have, dear?" she asked putting her hand to her chest.

"A few." Jake answered.Angela was about to step in before her mother could question Jake further but her father beat her to it.

"Georgia, leave the boy alone" Max said walking over and shaking Jakes hand. "You'll have to excuse my wife, Jake. We're just poor folk and we're not used to seeing such extravagance." He gestured to the large house.

"Well sir we need the space. I don't live here alone. My mother lives here along with my 3 sisters and their husbands, my niece and nephew and my brother."

"Big family." Max said. Jake nodded.

"It's wonderful, dad." Angela cut in. "There is never a dull moment with so many people around."

"Come on in and we'll introduce you to everyone that's home." Jake said. "I'll come back out and get your suitcases later." Angela and Jake led them inside and Angela felt certain her mother was going to have a heart attack as she gaped at all the expensive artwork and decorations throughout the house. They led them to the large kitchen where everyone was sitting around the table.

"Mom, dad, this is Raquel, Bethany, Greg, and Jake's mom Rebecca." Angela said pointing to everyone in turn.

"Nice to meet you." Max said shaking everyone's hands.

Georgia shook their hands as well and then turned to Angela. "You must feel really out of place here."

Angela looked at her with confusion. "Why is that?"

"I mean being surrounded by all these beautiful people every day." Georgia replied and pointed at Bethany. "Especially that one."

Everyone at the table stared in shock at Georgia. Angela felt the sting of her mother's words deep, though they weren't anything new. Her mother had been putting down the way she looked her entire life. She felt Jake's tension and worked hard to close the link between them so he wouldn't sense just how badly her feelings were hurt. There was only so much her protective werewolf mate would be able to take.