Chapter Two

The air in Jake and Angela's bedroom began to shimmer and Jake was out of the bed in an instant. Lane nearly yelled out when he opened his eyes and found himself staring at six feet five inches of pissed off Jake growling defensively. Jake relaxed when he saw it was Lane and then stared at the woman in his arms.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"I need Angela." Lane said. Angela scooted to the edge of the bed and with some effort managed to lift her heavily pregnant frame off the bed.

"What happened, Lane?" she asked looking at the red headed girl in his arms. She was bleeding heavily and she was pale and unconscious against Lane's chest.

"Vamps. She's mortal Angela and she's my..... She's my friend." Lane said not wanting to tell his sister in law what she really was. Hell he didn't want this mean little red headed slayer to be his mate anyway!

"Follow me. But fast she doesn't look like she can last much longer." Angela said. She waddled from the room and Lane and Jake both followed her. She led them into a spare room and motioned for Lane to lay the girl down.

"You guys leave. I'll do what I can for her." Angela said. Lane started to protest but Jake grabbed his arm and pulled him out of the room.

"Do what she says." he said. Lane took one more look at his mates pale face and then turned and left the room. Jake followed him down to the living room.

888

(Angela.) Jake said as he sat on the couch watching Lane pacing the room like a caged animal. He had never seen his little brother look this close to a panic attack. He hadn't said a word in ten minutes and Jake was sure that was a first.

(What?) Angela asked. Jake could tell she was irritated by his interruption.

(How is she?)

(I healed her stab wound. The bruises and cuts will have to wait until later.. I'm just too tired.) he could hear the disappointment in her voice.

(It's ok love.) Jake replied. He knew that healing powers took a lot out of even the most powerful immortals and his Angela was almost eight months pregnant.

(You can send Lane up now. She still unconscious but she'll be ok.)

"Angela, says we can go back up now...." Jake didn't even have time to finish before Lane was running up the stairs. He ran into the room and found Angela sitting on the edge of the bed looking down at the slayers sleeping form. He breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that some color had returned to her freckled cheeks.

"She's going to be ok." Angela said standing up and laying her hand on his arm. Lane hugged her tight and laid his hand on her belly.

"How are you, little sister? How is my bambino?"

"I'm tired. Your bambina is just fine." she replied. "How is my favorite brother?" Lane looked down at her and could see the worry in her eyes. Leave it to Angela to make him feel like the biggest ass in the world. There was no way he was going to tell her about the drinking and women. She would kill him.

"You know me. Been hanging out and having fun." he said flashing her his grin. She smiled up at him and he worried that any moment his head was going to turn into a giant donkeys ass.

"You need to get back to bed, Angela. You're exhausted." Jake said taking his wife's arm gently. She happily let herself be pulled into the warm, hard, muscular circle of his arms.

"Thank you for helping her." Lane said as he looked back at the woman lying in the bed. Angela nodded and Jake led her from the room shutting the door behind them.