Chapter Nine

Almost an hour later they both lay spent in each others arms. She was curled up with her back pressed against his chest. He was holding her the same way he had that morning all those weeks ago.

"That was amazing." she said. He smiled as much at her innocent honesty as the compliment.

"You are amazing." he replied laying gentle kisses along her shoulder. "I love you, Joey." He whispered in her ear. She could hear his nervousness at saying the words and suddenly the reality of their situation came crashing down on her....

He had finally said the words she'd been waiting so long to hear and she couldn't say them back. She did love him. She loved him with every single fiber of her being. Angela had asked her that day that seemed so long ago if she knew what it was like to have a man love her with every single fiber of his being and now she could say that she did. She had no doubt that Lane loved her that much.

She tried to speak but all that came out was a choked sob. Lane rolled her to her back and looked down at her his eyes full of concern.

"Honey, you're crying. What's wrong?" he asked. Joey closed her eyes.. She didn't want to see his hurt when she said what she knew she had to say. Kaylee and Kayleb would die if she didn't do this.

"I don't love you, Lane. This was a mistake." she said forcing her voice to be as hard and cold as steel even though she felt like shattered glass inside. Lane felt his heart break apart in his chest. She couldn't be serious. Not after the love they had just made and the looks he had seen in her eyes... The way she had moaned his name beneath him.

"What....." She cut him off by shoving him off of her and standing up. She kept her back to him as she pulled on her clothes. She could tell that he had moved to the edge of the bed but he didn't say a word.

"I tried, Lane, but I'm a slayer and you're a freak and this is just not going to work." She thanked God silently when he didn't speak.. She didn't want to hear his pain. Without turning around she walked from his room leaving him sitting dumbfounded on the bed.

Lane could not believe this was happening. He felt the tears on his face but didn't care. He quickly pulled his pants on and ran after her. He caught her in the living room. He grabbed her arm and spun her around to face him. Her face was covered in tears and he could see the pain in her eyes though she was trying to mask it.

"What is going on?" he asked finding that his voice cracked. She looked away from him.

"I don't love you. I don't want to be with you. You mean nothing to me." she said. Lane let go of her arm. His heart was beyond broken. It was lying in a shattered heap at Joey's feet. Apparently she had gotten what she wanted out of him and he would be damned before he let her hear him beg.

She turned away from him and walked into the kitchen. She could hear his footsteps behind her but other than that he remained silent. Her hands stopped on the keys to the Camaro hanging on the hook. He could tell that she was waiting on his permission. He snorted.. His pain was quickly turning to anger.

"Take it." he said. "You've taken everything else from me." She cringed at the anger and pain in his words. She grabbed the key and walked out of the door without saying a word. She got in the car, started the engine and drove away without looking back.

Lane stood in the middle of the driveway watching her disappear around the bend in the road. He didn't know how long he stood there before he noticed his brothers hand on his shoulder.

"You should go after her, Lane. There has to be a reason she left." Jake said gently. Lane shrugged his hand away and dried his tear stained face with his hands.