3. We Aren't Friends, We Just Eat Lunch Together

The lunch line took forever and when I finally got my food, it looked like it was some kind of mutated monster. I looked around the room looking for a spot to sit when I caught onto his brown eyes. He instantly looked away when he saw that I caught him staring. I glared, making my way over to him, I slammed my tray on the empty table, "Who the heck are you and why do you keep staring at me?!" I demanded, glaring at him.

"Uh names Nick, but what do you mean, I don't even know you." He laughed nervously.

"You know exactly what I'm talking about, Nick! I understand that since I'm the new kid people will stare at me but not as much as you have!" I demanded.

"Your just, extremely beautiful." His cheeks tinted with light blush.

I scoffed, "Enough of this bull shit, give me the real reason!" I've been lying to my parents since I could speak, I know a lie when I hear one.

He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck, "You just look really familiar and I didn't mean to stare that much but I was just trying to figure out where I've seen you before."

I sighed taking a seat, "You ever been to New York City?" I asked.

"No, why? You're from there?"

"Yeah, born and raised. I just figured that's where you saw me." I replied, taking a bite from my lunch only to spit it out, "Aw, gross!"

"Let me guess, taste like a dirty sock stuffed with expired Miracle Whip?" He asked with a half smile grazing his features.

"Bull's eye. How do you people eat this crap? No offense."

His half smile never left his features, "No offense taken, most of us don't eat it, look around, pretty much everyone in here has a sack lunch. While everyone else is eating somewhere at least decent compared to this nightmare. The only people who eat this stuff is the kids who have no taste buds whatsoever."

I shook my head, laughing lightly, "Makes sense, so your sitting here alone?"

His smile finally deflated and he completely avoided eye contact, "Yeah, a few kids sit here, kind of the loner table."

"Not friends, just eat lunch together type of table, yeah I'm familiar with that." Except replace friends with family.

"New York City not so kind?" He joked.

Me being the sarcastic little devil I am, replied instantly, "Thought it was obvious with all the movies about us New Yorker's shouting at people to shut up any chance we could." Before he could speak I changed the subject, I don't really feel like remembering the sickening memories of my home town, "Someone as funny as you are has to have at least a few friends." I pressed, elbowing him lightly.

"I have one friend, except he doesn't have this lunch." His smile was full and back.

"Let me guess, the sarcastic and hyper active one?"

"Actually no, he's the always hitting on girls, mysterious one, while I'm the one boucing off walls."

I was generally shocked, he didn't seem like the type, "You, hyper? I may have not known you long but you seem like the quiet type."

"A lot of people think so but nope, you are dead wrong."

"Guess you really do learn something new everyday."

We spent the rest of that time just talking about basic things, never getting to deep and personal, no we were still pretty much strangers. Once the bell rang, he showed me to my science class before leaving to his own class.

The teacher was way to happy, not fake happy but drug happy. She made me wait in the front of the class till the bell rang, her hands resting on my shoulders, "Class we have a new student, Arielle Moiré. She moved here from New York City, very exciting!" Her smile was so big I thought it was going to split her cheeks open. "Why don't you go sit next to Taylor?" My eyes following to where she was pointing. I glared, seeing the bratty blonde from the hallway.

"Ms. Applemen, Ryan sit's here! So Ariella can't possibly sit here!" She cried while I just continued to glare at her. The bimbo screwed up my name and she literally heard it five seconds ago!

Ms. Applemen just laughed, "Taylor, you wanted to switch lab partner's for a long time, now I'm giving you the opportunity, take it."

Her face fell and it almost broke my heart, I don't know why it'd do that, it's not like I cared about her. I took my seat, side glancing her, "Arielle."

"What?" She asked staring at me like I was insane.

I rolled my eyes, "My name isn't Ariella, it's Arielle, Ariel more specifically." After that I stopped talking to her, not even giving her a second look.

It was the most agonizingly slow class that I've ever been in. I kept watching the clock, I felt like a caged animal and I just wanted out. Taylor kept glancing at me, she would open her mouth and then close it. I could see it going on with my peripheral vision. I did my best to ignore her, but for some odd reason it was really hard. Yeah I may like girls but when they act like she did, I move on with my life, I don't stick around for the ride.

When the bell finally rang, I was gone, I've done so much running today it's not even funny.

"Ariel wait up!" A familiar voice yelled forcing me to turn around, seeing Nick, who was plowing through people.

"You want to hang out today? Blake and I are heading to the best burger place in town."

I licked my lips, "The best you say?"

"Trust me, it's the best."

"Yeah, I'm totally in." I replied following him outside.

I glared seeing the familiar black car parked in the front. You've got to be joking, I'm not allowed to hang out with people after school?! I don't care if this crazy old lady was going to make me clean her entire estate, I am going to have fun while I'm here.

I followed him futher into the parking lot, before we stopped at an old rusty pick up truck, "This is your car?" I asked.

"Yeah, my pride and joy." He patted the hood, making the back bumper fall off. "Uh, she's still a work in progress..."

I rolled my eyes, laughing, "A major work in progress!"

"Don't listen to her baby..." He whispered, popping the bumper back on.

I scoffed, shaking my head but dropped the subject, "Anywhore, where is your friend?"

"Blake? He's going to meet us there, he had to stay after." He replied as we got in the truck. He turned the key to start the engine but it wouldn't start, "Takes a few try's..." He tried to start the engine four more times before it started. "See, she's just a diamond in the ruff!"