04: Memory Lane

"You did what?" I hissed at Elena as I took a seat. She had invited me over to The Grill to talk, or more like get to know me and my past with the Salvatore brothers. When I arrived, I heard her speak about what she did to Damon when she and him were at Duke. "Why would you do that?"

   "I had to get the information from him," she responded with a shrug of her shoulders. "He wouldn't have done it if I didn't lie."

   "That was very low of you," I sighed, leaning to her and looking down at the book she had under her arms. "It was... It was very Katherine of you."

   "I am not Katherine!" she hissed, slamming her hand on the table. The drink she had next to her spilled. She took a deep breath, and smiled and apologised at the person that came by to quickly clean it up. Then, she looked back at me with a small glare. "I'm not Katherine, Clara; I'm nothing like her, and I never will be."

   "I'm just saying that what you did to Damon was what she would have done," I stated, shrugging. "She manipulated him, she... She destroyed the good that was in him by lying."

   "How do you know that?" she quickly asked, staring at me. "Did she... Did she tell you?"

   I eyed her, slightly closing my eyes. Elena wanted to know whatever she could about me, I could tell by the number of text messages she had sent me. She asked things like what's my full name, when was I born, when did I first meet Stefan and Damon, did I know the Gilbert's back then, who was the person that turned me, and so on. I answered as vaguely as possible. 

   I let out a breath when I felt the presence besides me. "Damon," I sighed, opening my eyes and glancing to him. "What brings you here? You hungry, or are you just stalking Elena and I?"

   "Stalk a backstabber?" Damon smiled, glancing at Elena. "Never. Mostly, I'm stalking you. You know, making sure you behave." I rolled my eyes, crossed my arms, and leaned back to glare at him. Damon looked at Elena. "So, this is where you spend your time when you're not stabbing people in the back?"

   "I tricked you into telling me the truth, that's not stabbing you in the back," Elena explained. "It's using your own tactics against you." She began to pack her things. 

   "Where are you going?" Damon asked, tilting his head to the side.

   "I made myself clear, Damon. I want nothing to do with you." She stood and began to walk away.

   "Okay," he shrugged, grabbing a fry from the platter in front of me. "See you at Jenna's barbecue."

   That stopped Elena and caused her to turn back to us. "How do you know about Jenna's barbecue?"

   "It was my idea," Damon said in a matter-of-fact tone. "Jenna went to high school with Mason Lockwood so I figured a social gathering would be a good way to get to know the guy. So I told Rick to tell Jenna and..."

   "Does Jenna know that you're going?" I asked him, pushing a fry to my mouth. "She's not exactly a fan of yours from what I've been told."

   A woman arrived and handed him a box. Damon smiled at her as he grabbed. "Perfect. Thank you." He looked at us and smiles. "I'm hoping this peach cobbler will pave the way."

   "What are you up to?" I asked, laying a ten on the table and following him and Elena.

   "I'm gonna put some silver into Mason Lockwood and prove he is a werewolf," he explained. "See you at the barbecue, Elena."

   "Are you coming?" She asked right after Damon walked through the doors. "Please, tell me you're coming."

   "I wan't invited," I told her as I walked out, shrugging my shoulders. "But, hey, at least you have vervain, right? If he does something, just slap it to his face. That'll shut him up."