twenty six

Lauren didn't expect things to go back to normal right away.

Even though Camila had been able to vocalize what she had experienced to her, Lauren was well aware that the smaller girl was still dealing with the aftershocks of what happened. That was just how Camila handled things. One step at a time.

It had been a week or so since the police showed up at the door. The weather had taken a considerable turn, trading the splintering heat of the summer for the slight comfort of the autumn breeze. The leaves in their backyard had only just begun to turn colors, prompting Camila to go on and on about how beautiful their yard would look in a month's time.

Lauren had been able to get back to work, and currently she and Toby sat in the middle of his living room. A collection of papers were sprawled out between them, and the two graphic designers were taking their time to look over each one.

Meanwhile, Camila sat on a blanket on the floor beside them, entertaining Lucas by rolling a ball to him and prompting him to roll it back. Each time, she'd clap her hands and cheer him on, and the small child would laugh hysterically. Thankfully, Lauren and Toby somehow managed to stay focused despite the chorus of giggles that erupted every few moments.

"I like the color scheme on this one better," Lauren leaned forward and pointed to one of the brochures set in between them. "But the font isn't scary enough."

"I'm so tired of doing these stupid Halloween projects," Toby groaned, tossing the handful of papers he had in his hand down to the ground. "Why does New York even have that many haunted houses?"

"Who knows," Lauren laughed and shook her head. She grabbed another stack of brochures and began sifting through them. "I'm gonna be so glad once that holiday comes and goes."

"I'm dressing Lucas up and taking pictures and that's it," Toby nodded, giving up on their work and lying back on the carpet, supporting his head with his hands.

"Decided on a costume yet?" Lauren laughed and raised an eyebrow.

"We compromised," Toby rolled his eyes, earning a questioning gaze from Lauren.

"He's gonna be a puppy," Toby grumbled.

"Sounds like that wasn't much of a compromise on your part," Lauren smirked, gathering up the brochures and stacking them together. Toby mumbled something under his breath as Lauren turned around to steal a glance at Camila.

The younger girl clapped her hands together to get Lucas' attention. When the toddler looked up, she crinkled her nose and gently rolled the ball towards him.

"Catch it!" she cooed, giggling when the smaller boy nearly fell over when he reached for the ball. Once he retrieved it, though, Camila's face lit up and she applauded him. Lucas giggled softly, concentrating on pushing the ball back over to Camila.

"She's got a knack for kids," Toby spoke up, causing Lauren to turn back around and look at him with a raised eyebrow.

"What? She does," Toby held up his hands as if he were surrendering. Lauren glanced back at her wife once more before turning her attention back on him.

"I can't argue with you there," she laughed, biting her lip to hide her smile when she heard Camila burst into laughter from behind her. "She's a kid at heart. That's why. She understands them."

"So is it gonna happen soon?"

Lauren jumped when Maia appeared, just waking up from her nap. The brunette sat down next to Toby, ruffling his hair playfully and stretching out her arms.

"Is what gonna happen soon?" Lauren asked in confusion. She grew even more confused when the married couple across from her exchanged knowing glances.