Chapter Five

Alex dashed himself into the library of the family house, hoping to find Kaylee in her favorite spot and he wasn't disappointed. Damien was there also and when Alex appeared suddenly the demon nearly had him peeing his pants with just a threatening look.

"Calm down please." Alex said as he looked from his cousin to his..... Oh jeeze... A sudden thought occurred to Alex when he looked at Damien again. If he and Angelica were to be a couple then Damien would essentially be his step son. Alex felt his knees trembling when he realized he was about to ask this deadly demon to take him to his mother because his mother was Alex's mate. So much for a no violence lifestyle. He was probably going to have to fight for his life once Damien realized what was going on.

"What are you doing here, Alex? I thought you went back to California?" Kaylee said as Damien relaxed and sat back down on the oversized arm chair beside her.

"I uh.. I need to talk to him." Alex said pointing at Damien.

"Me?" Damien asked. He had never met Alex before today and couldn't figure out why the man would want to talk to him.

"Yeah. Alone." he added with a pointed look at his cousin. Kaylee nodded and reluctantly stood up.

"I'll just go get a snack." she said and she left the room. Alex looked back at Damien and cleared his throat.

"I need a favor."

"Why should I do you a favor? I don't even know you." Damien replied. He couldn't see how any problem Alex had would be his problem.

"Well it's about your mom." Alex replied and just saying those words felt wrong. Fate had really dealt him a low blow. Damien raised a brow and looked suddenly more interested.

"What about my mom?"

"I need to talk to her."

"She's gone. She went back to her house in Montana." Damien replied.

"I know." Alex said with a nod as he rubbed his suddenly itchy palm on his jeans. "I uh.. I want you to take me there so I can talk to her."

"Why?" Damien asked as he stood up and crossed his arms over his chest. Alex looked the demon in the eye since they were roughly the same height but Damien was clearly much more muscular than he was.

"Because she's uh... she's my mate and I need to talk to her." Alex whispered this, hoping against hope that the demon wouldn't understand. The look on Damien's face was nearly enough to have Alex dashing to the farthest corner of hell just to hide from him.

"What?" Damien demanded and Alex nodded.

"You heard me." he said, doing his best tough guy impression. Damien crossed his arms over his chest and stared at the skinny, strange looking wolf. He didn't know anything about this man. Would this man hurt his mother? Surely he wouldn't want to be romantically involved with her. Damien cared about his mother but knew that there was no way a man would ever look at her with passion.

"You've met my mother haven't you?" Damien asked cautiously and Alex nodded.

"Yes." he swallowed hard, "I've met your mother."

"And yet you still want to see her again?" Damien asked and Alex nodded.

"Yes."

"I will take you." Damien said. It wasn't his business how Alex felt about what kind of mate he had and it wasn't his business how his mother would react to learning she had a mate. He was having a hard enough time figuring out his own emotions and keeping up with Kaylee's to worry about anyone elses.

"Can you not tell Kaylee about this. I'm not ready for the whole family to know yet." Damien nodded.

"I'll keep your secret." he promised and then he grabbed Alex's hand and dashed him to the clearing his mother's cabin sat in, deep in the pine forests of Montana.