Chapter 15

Compared to the Underworld, Heaven was, well, Heaven.

Don't get me wrong, the Underworld was cool in a mystical, creepy way, but my positive, half-angel nature definitely felt more at home in Heaven. It was literally a city in the clouds, and polished marble buildings rose from tufts of white. The sky was the brightest shade of pastel blue possible, and gold trim decorated the white city.

But despite all the enchanting beauty of the city, I couldn't enjoy the beautiful scenery of my father's homeland. Why? I was sitting in a Heavenly courtroom as a witness for Jungkook's trial.

"Okay, but do you or do you not admit to being kidnapped by Jungkook and dragged to Hell against your will?" The lawyer demanded, his blue irises burning into mine with steely determination. I swallowed hard, my mind working a thousand lies, though I couldn't say any of them. I couldn't lie; I had sworn that I wouldn't. Plus, I suspected that they had done some angel voodoo so that I would only tell the truth.

I glanced at Jungkook, who was sitting next to his angelic lawyer. His eyes offered no emotion, and I felt extremely guilty. It felt like I had dragged him into this, and I hated that.

"I... I was against it at first," I began slowly, "but-"

"There you go!" the lawyer spat, looking at the judge. "She admits it!"

"But I-"

"Jungkook of the Underworld, you are found guilty of the kidnapping of the angel Scarlet Choi," the judge deadpanned, slamming the gavel down half-heartedly. My eyes bulged as the guards shoved Jungkook out of the courtroom. As I was led off the stand and outside into the waiting room, my head spun with confusion and fury. I was bewildered.

"That's... That's not how courts work!" I protested. "That's not even how that's supposed to happen!"

I had watched enough crime shows to know that, and the thought that just maybe angelic courts worked differently didn't occurred to me because everything else was identical. The room, the gavel, the stands-everything was the same.

Everything was the same except for how the actual procedure went.

"Look, Scarlet, you have to relax," Jungkook's lawyer said, approaching me. She put a firm hand on my shoulder and I suddenly felt better, like liquid sunshine had been injected into my veins. Angel abilities that I hadn't inherited? You bet.

"That's not right!" I exclaimed. "Don't tell me that that's how the court system here works because-"

"It's not," she interjected, "but that trial was only a formality. He's a prisoner of war, you know. They were going to imprison him anyway, so don't get hung up about it."

"But why?" I whined. "He didn't do anything wrong. He just existed."

"As I said, he's a prisoner of war," the lawyer repeated. Her feathery white wings shifted behind her. They were only a few shades darker than her white-blonde hair, and her pale complexion deeply contrasted with her dark eyes. Her eyes were dark as hell, almost as dark as Jungkook's, which I found startling. "That's the point. He's the son of Hades, which makes him a leverage point for that damned bastard."

"But I..." I cast a defeated glance at a nearby window and sighed. "How am I supposed to just let this happen?"

"I'm sorry, but his kind is a danger to our kind, Scarlet. Your kind." The lawyer checked her phone. "But I'll tell you what, you can probably see him one last time if you really put on a show for the guards. They're a sucker for poor little crying girls."

The lawyer pivoted and walked away, but I stared after her. See him one last time?

At that moment, I knew that Jungkook had definitely rubbed off on me.

Before, I would never think of breaking the rules. I was scared and timid, and being disobedient wasn't something I knew how to do. The consequences scared me, and I absolutely hated getting in trouble.

When the idea of breaking Jungkook out formed in my head, I knew that the demon had changed me.