Thirteen

"It was out of impulse, sorry." I rush out an apology.

He lets out a loud sigh, "don't slip up again, Camila. I nearly had a heart attack."

"I'm sorry." I apologize again, clutching my glasses case.

He bites his bottom lip and grabs my hand, leading me to a nearby restaurant that's connected to the strip. I'm still mentally scolding myself for saying that. It's normal to say that to people out of impulse.

Maybe he truly thought that I was in love with him? I can't even begin to think about what's going on in his head.

"Do you want to eat here?" He speaks up, pointing to the crave sign above us.

I shrug my shoulders, "we can eat wherever you want to."

"Don't make things awkward between us, Camila, please. I understand you just had a slip up. I'm not angry with you."

"I know you're not. It's just that I don't know how to recover from a situation like that."

I truly feel like an idiot for saying that. When I say it to other people, they laugh, but Jack was just completely caught off guard.

"Let's just great inside and enjoy ourselves." I tug his hand.

He nods his head, wearily glancing at me for a second. He gets us a table for two and it's a shame that we can't drink when we go out to eat. I put my sunglasses into my purse. God, that's just going to be a horrific reminder whenever I see it.

"Hello, I'm Anthony and I'll be your waiter for today." He gives us a brief smile. "Can I start you both off with a beverage?"

"A lemon water, please." I politely say.

"A Sprite for me." Jack mumbles, not looking up from the menu.

"Sure thing." Anthony nods with a smile.

I nudge Jack with my elbow in a scolding manner. That's when he decides to look up at me with confusion.

"You were being rude." I tell him.

"No, I wasn't. I ordered, didn't I? Besides, I was just seeing what's on this menu."

I bite the inside of my cheek and wait patiently for Anthony to return. The smile hasn't left his face yet and he's giving off a positive vibe. It's starting to make me lighten up.

"Are you both ready to order?"

"Yeah, I'll have the chicken alfredo." Jack says.

"And can I get the caprese pasta?"

"Of course. Those will be out shortly." He informs us, collecting our menus.

I unravel my early folded napkin and gracefully place it down on my lap. Jack watches me intently. I look up at him and make eye contact.

"Thought about moving in with me yet?"

"That'd be weird, wouldn't it?" I question. "We're not dating, but we're living together."

He groans, "we are dating, Camila. You are my girlfriend."

"It's still a lot to consider." I sigh. "I'm not ready to move in with you."

This time, he doesn't hold back on rolling his eyes, "God, you're not ready for anything, Camila. You know what? Just let me know when you are."

The rest of the meal is an intense silence. It's followed up by Jack driving me back to my parents place. He really is agitated with me and I can understand why. I don't want to fight about this with him.

I'm just going to be the bigger person and let him hash this out himself. His own little dilemma. I've been more than understanding he's the one that isn't understanding.

"I'll see you?" I slowly question.

"When you can figure out what you want, Camila." He coldly replies.

Trying to suppress my tears, I shut his car door and turn to head inside. His car easily pulls out of the driveway. At this point, I don't really know what I want anymore.

"Cam," my dad greets me as I enter the house. "Where have you been all day?"

I shrug my shoulders, trying not to let Jack's bad mood get the best of me.

"I was out shopping with a friend."

"Get anything new?" He continue to probe.

"Just some sunglasses."

"Cool, cool." He gestures for me to sit down with him.

I'm a little skeptical. He's usually not like this, but I sit down across from him anyway.

"I want to talk about what happened in my hose the other day."

My eyebrows furrow, "what are you talking about, dad?"

"Don't lie to me, Camila. Kaiden told me everything."

"That I had some friends over and we watched a movie?" I question.

"He said there was a lot of yelling downstairs and something breaking. I want you to be honest with me here. I promise that I won't get mad."

"Where's mom?" I change the topic.

"Camila." He sternly says and I know that this is something that can't slide.

"Two people got into a fight, but nothing bad happened." I rush.

Except for the fact that both of them had busted faces.

{vote, comment, share}