The Only Girl in the Band...[Part 6]

"How's the band going?" Mae asked. I yawned sleepily and opened the fridge. I pulled out a carton of milk and set it on the table.

"It's all right," I yawned.

"I never see you anymore. You're either working, with the band, or doing homework. Are you ever going to catch a break?" Mae questioned.

She was right. I was always so busy these days. For the past few weeks, I practiced and practiced the demo songs. We finally started recording them the night before. And if I wasn't at band practice, then I was at work or in class. These days, I usually stayed up late studying and doing homework. Getting three or four hours of sleep was becoming regular for me.

"I'm fine. I'm managing all of it. It's not like I've collapsed. I've got it under control; don't worry about me," I told Mae mechanically. She got the bowls and spoons and cereal and set them down on the table, too.

"You know it's unhealthy the amount of sleep your living off of," Mae told me. I shrugged.

"Almost all college students get that much sleep. It's normal. We would pull all nighters all the time in freshman year. Remember?" I asked. She laughed as memories came back.

"All those late night trips to IHOP and the Waffle House," she laughed. I smiled in reminiscence.

"God, freshman year. Those were crazy times," I said. She nodded.

"Definitely. If you think I'm a party animal right now, I don't think you'd have words for what I was freshman year," she said.

"Good thing we dropped that sorority," I said. She snorted.

"Alpha Delta Mu!" she cried. We laughed.

"I feel like such an adult now," I said after we calmed down a little.

"I don't. I'm a little more studious now. But I haven't grown up that much, maturity-wise," Mae said. I rolled my eyes at her. "I think I should get a job. Maybe that'll snap me into shape. I am 21 now. I should be acting more mature now," she said.

"How many times have you said you were going to get a job?" I asked her. "And besides, you don't need one. The only reason I have a job is because my parents refused to pay my loans for me so I have to do it," I added.

"Yeah, and when The Velocity becomes a huge success, you won't have to worry about having a job," Mae told me. I shrugged.

"I'm glad I'll still have a degree to fall back on. Just in case anything goes wrong. Which it might," I said. She gave me a confused look. "Ian is driving me insane," I told her.

"Ah. Ian. The Douche," she said, understanding.

"He picks out every little mistake I make and lists it as "another reason I shouldn't be in the band". I mean really, when is he going to get over it? It's been like a month now!" I exclaimed.

"Maybe he likes you," Mae suggested.

"Oh, shut up," I scoffed, blushing slightly and throwing a Cheerio at her.

"What?! It's a possibility! And you two would be really cute together. He's hot and so are you. Perfect couple! And when you're famous, you guys can have a cute celebrity name. Like, Inessa. Or Vian," Mae continued. I raised an eyebrow at her. "Ok, yeah. You're right. Those sound lame," she said.

"I would never date that control-freak prick," I said.

"Never say never," she said. We both looked at each other.

"I WILL NEVER SAY NEVERRRRRRRR! I WILL FIGHT 'TIL FOREVERRRRRRR!" we sang in obnoxiously loud voices. We both burst into laughter.

"God, I hate that song," I said, wiping my eyes.