Chapter 29

"Tell us again how that shirt got in your trashcan?" Roberto asked.

Derek shrugged, "I told you I don't know. I just pulled it out of the bin and tossed it. I didn't even pay attention to what was in there."

Jax frowned, "So you're saying it's Billy's shirt?"

"No, that's not what I'm saying. I don't know how that got in our trash...but there's no way Billy did anything like that. If you knew him, you wouldn't even suggest it."

"Why not?"

"Because...Billy's just not like that. He's Billy."

Roberto smirked, "Everyone is capable of killing given the right motive."

"Including you?" Derek asked.

Roberto shrugged, "Anything's possible."

"I wouldn't know," Derek said. "I've never had to kill someone before."

Roberto chuckled and looked at Jax while pointing to Derek as though he had just said something funny, "He's so defensive, isn't he?"

Jax nodded, "He is. He's denying it's his so it must be Billy's."

"No," Derek shook his head. "Billy has been out of town and he's too nice to hurt anyone. If a flying roach were to come into a room full of people, he'd be the only one to try to stop them from killing it. That's the kind of person Billy is. He's not a murderer."

"Are you sure about that? If Billy's not a murderer then that makes you one," Roberto said.

Derek bit the inside of his mouth and began tapping his fingers angrily against the wooden table in front of him, "Why do you keep insisting that it was me or Billy? For all you know someone else put that shirt there."

"Like who?" Roberto asked, learning forward.

"I don't know. Someone could've broken in and put it there to frame one of us. My apartment building is old. The apartments are easy to break into. I told you I thought someone had broken in."

"Then why didn't you report it?" Jax asked.

"I don't know. The apartments are old. I thought maybe I just imagined my stuff being out of place."

"You and Billy ever fight?"

"Don't answer that," Derek's lawyer said before addressing the detectives, "My client agreed to this interview because he thought it would help in the search of his roommate. All you're doing is asking him about this bloody shirt that was allegedly in his trash. If you're not going to ask him any relevant questions concerning his roommate Billy Gearson and you're not going to arrest him, we'll be leaving now."

"You're right," Jax nodded. "I'll stick to questions that might help us find Billy."

The lawyer nodded and Jax cleared his throat.

"Do you think Billy disappeared because he murdered Loretta Palmer?"

Derek gave Jax an incredulous look, "Why would Billy hurt anyone? Who is this Palmer woman?"

"I don't know. That's what I'm trying to figure out. The trash had a copy of a signed receipt with your name on it so we know the trash was yours. Give me something I can use, Derek. Help me help you."

"I told you. Someone might have broken into my apartment. I swore someone broke in not too long ago. Everything in my bathroom was on the floor. Maybe it was that day."

Roberto sighed, "Tell me again. Where were you on—"

"He's already provided solid alibis for the times several of the murders took place. So if you're not going to charge my client, I think we'll be leaving now," Derek's attorney said. She nodded at Derek who stood up and followed her out of the interrogation room.

"I'll see you later," Jax told Roberto.

"Where are you going?" Roberto asked.

"To his apartment building."

After running to his vehicle and racing to the apartment building Dani lived in, Jax was able to arrive before Derek. He made a point to be leaning against Dani's door.

Derek cursed when he saw Jax, "Are you stalking me now? Isn't that illegal?"

"Stalking? I'm here waiting for Dani," Jax said nonchalantly, arms crossed, and a fat smile on his face.

"Yeah right. Look, I already told you everything I know. Right now I'm really worried about Billy but you cops keep insisting that one of us is a killer. Well neither of us is...I'm not and if Billy were here, he'd say the same thing."

"Say what exactly?" Jax asked. "Would he deny he's a murderer? Or would he deny you're one?"

"If you'd find him you could ask him yourself."

"Well he's not here and there sure was some suspicious evidence in your apartment."

Derek bit his bottom lip until he tasted blood, "I told you that shirt wasn't mine. As for the music and instruments...those belong to Billy. You can't tell me anyone that enjoys Beethoven is going to be a suspect."

"You seem awfully jumpy," Jax noted. "Scratch that. You seem defensive. Too defensive."

"Wouldn't you be too if you were me? The cops suspect I'm a murderer and the only reason I'm walking right now is because my roommate is also a suspect. To top everything off he's missing. How would you react if you were me?"

"It's only a matter of time before we're celebrating the capture of the Maestro," Jax said softly.

"Yeah? Well when that time comes, be sure to invite me to the party." Derek slammed the door to his apartment, leaving the detective alone.

Jax walked back downstairs and ran over to the officers that were watching the building, "I have to check in on someone but if he makes a move. If he even steps a big toe out of this building, you call me, got it?"

The officers agreed and Jax left to join Dani back at the hotel.

After Jax left, the officers were so intent on watching the building for Derek Bombay that they didn't bother to pay attention to anyone else that was leaving or entering.

To keep herself calm, Dani found herself sketching a dream she had of a dragon attacking a Starbucks. Her phone rang, and she immediately picked it up without looking at who the caller was.

"Dani?"

"Oliver?"

"Dani are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm sorry for calling in today but I was told to stay put," Dani said.

"Is everything alright? I'm very worried about you. Where are you? Do you want me to pick you up?"

Dani was surprised by the onslaught of questions, "It's okay. You don't have to worry. I'm fine."

"But where are you?"

Jax's words echoed in her mind.

Don't tell anyone you're here.

"I'm sorry Oliver but I have to go. I'll call you later, okay?" Dani disconnected the call before Oliver could speak. Her phone rang again.

The caller ID flashed Oliver's name but Dani ignored it.

She checked the time and wondered how much longer she'd have to hide at the hotel.

A familiar number flashed across her screen causing Dani to jump. She read the message and responded, "I'll be there in thirty."