10 - Alcohol Makes Me Sleepy

The rest of the week passed so quickly you would have thought that my mother was purposely speeding up time. I knew she didn’t have the power to do so though.

I realized that Porus had signed me up for the Greek Mythology class and I wasn’t sure if it was for a laugh or for an easy grade. Either way, I didn’t pay much attention knowing that it would be pretty simple. That, along with math, was the class I had with Logan.

I sat next to him doodling on my notebook while he actually paid attention. Looking around the room, I noticed another familiar face in the class. Jason was sitting a few rows up from me. If he noticed me, then he didn’t show any interest. Apparently that little comment about ‘seeing me later’ was nothing more than a polite thing to say when departing.

I straighten in my chair and tried my best to catch his attention without taking everyone’s attention from the professor’s oh-so-wonderful lecture. Logan paid little attention to me so I spent the entire class hour trying not to cause a disturbance yet get Jason’s attention. After class was over, I had had little success and gave up my attempts as I watched Jason walk out the door.

I sighed quickly covering my disappointment as Logan linked arms with me and led me out of the room.

“You alright?”

I looked around the halls for any sight of Jason but found none. I started to wonder why I cared so much but I couldn’t come up with a good answer. I suppose I just really wanted a real friend and not some of Logan’s.

“Yeah, fine,” I muttered after a minute. “Why? What’s up?”

Logan was watching me closely before he shook his head as if clearing his thoughts. “You seem distracted.”

“Sorry,” I apologized sheepishly. “The week’s over.”

Logan nodded. “Yeah we made it four days. It seems like only yesterday we were strangers.”

I joined in the chuckle that Logan began then he suddenly became serious. “The party is tomorrow. Are you still sure you want to go?”

“Of course,” I chided. “Friday works out perfectly for me. Some last things came up and it turns out that my weekend suddenly filled up.”

“Cool, so I will pick you up right?” I nodded and he drove me home in our regular silence.

The next day I gladly had no classes so I was able to sleep in. Logan wanted to pick me up around seven PM. I was in a simple t-shirt and jeans when that time rolled around. I pulled my dirty blonde hair back into a ponytail to keep it out of my eyes. My outfit didn’t scream ‘going to a party’ but I really didn’t know the attire for one. I had to go with this one. I sighed at my reflection. I was in this for the experience. I went without makeup feeling comfortable in my natural beauty. I knew I had some if not just a little.

Logan picked me up right on time and I met him outside in his car with a small greeting. We were silent for a while as it seemed usual while we just listened to whatever was on the radio.

“So?” Logan began curiously. “What are you doing this weekend?”

I sighed. “Going home. My mother isn’t very happy with me and I need to sort some things out.”

“Well, I wish you all the best. You said your mom was strict right?”

I nodded. “Sadly yes. I can’t believe you remember that. Is your mom like that?”

“My mom?” Logan asked testing the words. “She’s…something. She isn’t really strict but she left most of the discipline to my dad so in my eyes he was seen as ‘the bad guy’ when I was a kid. Of course, when I got older, my opinion changed but my mom has always been pretty nice. I’m not sure being mean to us was even in her nature. She loves us kids too much.”