11.

We had been driving for hours, and no one spoke a word. We were all filled with grief after what had just happened. We had left everything we knew, everything we loved, we had left our lives behind for this. I kept my gaze focused outside the window, watching anything and everything in hopes that it would take my mind off of what had just happened. The silence in the truck was broken by Tessa's faint sobs, as she cried to herself sadly. "Lucas...we just left him" she mumbled, her voice shaking which showed just how much this had affected her. I would be crying too, if it weren't for the comforting embrace of the seatbelt wrapped around my waist thanks to Optimus, who tightened the belt slightly when he noticed my distress. I was thankful for his kind gesture, because if it weren't for him, I wouldn't be here right now. I might have been killed by Savoy if he hadn't burst out of the barn as a distraction, I might have died alongside Lucas if I had gone along with Cade and Tessa...they could have died too, and thanks to the mystery man in the back there, they weren't. "He's gone" Cade finally spoke up, responding to his daughter in the most heartfelt way possible. I sighed softly, knowing that there was nothing any of us could say that would ease Tessa's emotions.

We eventually came to a stop at what appeared to be an abandoned gas station, where the four of us got out immediately. After we had jumped out, Optimus transformed and slammed his fist into the ground, scaring both Tessa and the mystery man. "My deepest sympathies, for the loss of your friend..." Optimus spoke sadly, casting a small glance around at the four of us, "Stay here until I'm sure we weren't followed. We are all targets now" he continued, before transforming once more and driving away, leaving us alone in the middle of nowhere. A loud sigh escaped my lips as I folded my arms over my chest, looking over at Cade who stared after Optimus' retreating form. "So we're hiding out now? That's the plan?We're taking orders from a truck?" The mystery man asked, a hint of an Irish accent rolling off his tongue. Me, being immensely annoyed with pretty much everyone at this current point in time responded, "What, you got a better idea? And who the hell are you anyway?" I asked him, casting a small glare his way. The mystery man wrapped his arm around Tessa's body and opened his mouth to speak when Cade interrupted him suddenly "Oh you two haven't met? Y/n, this is Tessa's boyfriend Shane" he spoke angrily, every word full of sarcasm. My jaw dropped, completely speechless as a bright smile formed on my face "You have a boyfriend!?" I cried, walking over to her and giving her a hug. She smiled and returned my gesture, whilst Cade huffed "Y/n don't encourage them, she's in serious trouble. And you, move away from her kid, get your hands off her" he grumbled before walking over to both Tessa and her boyfriend before pushing them apart.

I rolled my eyes and looked over at Tessa, who was now giving me a thankful look "At least one of you supports me in this relationship" she mumbled, causing both Shane and I to laugh. "Just don't tell your father, now get inside you two, I'll stay out here until Optimus gets back" I informed, ushering the two towards the doors of the gas station. After they went inside, I leaned against the outside of the station, just taking in the silence and peace for at least a couple of minutes. Well, that was until everyone started arguing. I groaned in annoyance as I listened in to the conversation, about how Shane was 20 years old and dating Tessa who was 17, and how they were protected by the Romeo and Juliet laws by the Texas Stature or something like that. And then Tessa went on a full rampage, complaining about how both Cade and I brought the truck home and didn't report it, and how Lucas was dead because of our mistake. 

Great, even more guilt thrown in my face.

Tessa stormed out of the gas station, not even sparing me a glance as she continued to walk. "Where are you going?" I called out to her, flinching slightly as she spun around and threw a nasty glare my way "I'm going for a walk, don't follow me" she snapped, before spinning around on her heel and continuing on her way. I sighed and slumped against the wall, sliding down it before sitting on the ground. Things were only going to get worse from here, and I don't think there was anything I could do to make things better.

---------------------------------------------------------

A few hours later, Tessa had returned from her walk just before dark, the sun was just setting over the horizon. Optimus still hadn't returned, and I was beginning to worry. "You're still out here huh?" the voice of Cade stated, sitting down beside me. I nodded my head and continued to stare out at the horizon, which I had been doing for the passed hour or so "Yeah, well there's nothing better to do, and I'm not going inside just to listen you all arguing...I've already got enough to worry about" I replied, sighing heavily at the end. A long silence fell after that which I was thankful for, I wasn't really in the mood for talking right now. After a short while, Cade continued "Back at my house, Savoy mentioned your dad, what does he have to do with all this?" He asked, turning his head to look at me. With another loud sigh, I opened my mouth to speak "My dad and Savoy met through the Military when they were recruited. They trained together and eventually ended up on the same squad. After maybe three years I was born, and then my dad took a couple of weeks off to spend time with my mum and me before going back. When I was 16, my dad was on a mission in Afghanistan when he was killed in action. After the funeral Savoy decided to look after the family considering my mum was to distraught to try and get a job, but he stopped providing for us just after the Battle of Chicago, and we never heard from him again until now..." I trailed off, looking over at my best friend who wore a shocked expression.

I shrugged my shoulders and turned back to the horizon, now watching the dark sky in silence. "Wow...I never knew" Cade whispered, slumping further into the wall. I chuckled "Because I never told you, and it was kind of personal so-" "No I understand, it's just...wow, I didn't know you had that much of a connection to him". I rolled my eyes "Yeah well, things change I guess..." I finished, relaxing slightly. Cade nodded his head and patted my shoulder, before standing up and making his way inside "Hey, you coming?" he asked me, motioning his head towards the gas station door. I shook my head "Maybe later, I want to make sure Optimus is safe before I do anything" I explained, to which Cade laughed "Alright then, just don't stay out too long" he ordered before walking inside.