Chapter 4: Intruder

"So, how did you end up being all alone?" Wilson asked as we made our way to my truck. "Well, while my father and I were in our apartment, some zombies started attempting to break down our front door. I left my Dad in the living room to find survival supplies like food, water, and weapons and when I came back he was being eaten by zombies." I said quickly because I didn't really want to talk about it. "Oh, I'm sorry I asked." He told me softly. "It's alright, I guess it's good to talk about it."

We got in the car and Craig immediately offered to drive but I said no because I was just getting a hang of it. I hopped into the drivers seat and Liz called shot gun before any one else. The other three jumped into the middle row of seats. I had rolled down the back row of seats to make room for groceries and supplies.

"Are you sure you know how to drive this thing?" Craig asked nervously. "Pshh, yeah! I got here, didn't I?" He hesitated then laughed nervously as I pulled out onto the open road. I was actually pretty good at driving for a 12 year old and I knew what all of the different buttons and levers did.

"Where are we actually going?" Liz asked. "Oh, I don't know. Where are we going, everyone?" I replied. "You know, I think I heard that there's a cure being made in California!" Amanda suggested. "Well then lets go to California!" Craig said with a wink directed towards Amanda. She blushed then asked to turn on the radio. We all jammed to "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey while I sped up on the open highway. I had a new mission. California.

At mid-afternoon, we stopped into Dick's Sporting Goods to find some more guns and knives for the others. Craig got two pistols and a machete, Amanda got two large knives, Wilson got a knife and a crossbow, and Liz got two katanas and a hand pistol. I already had all of the weapons that I needed. Then, we grabbed some more clothes like cargo pants and water-proof jackets and boots. We also each got a light weight sleeping bag.

"We should stop for the night and sleep in a hotel!" Liz suggested while we were driving on the highway. "Yeah, it looks like there's a hotel on the right!" We pulled over and walked into the abandoned hotel. Wilson found some key cards for rooms on the top floor, right next to each other, and so we rode the elevator up to the top. "Alright, boys in one room, girls in the other!" Amanda said. We split up and each group took a room.

The room had two queen sized beds and a huge flat screen TV. It had a nice, fluffy couch and a bathroom the size of my bedroom back at the apartment. "Wow, this is AWESOME!" I exclaimed excitedly. "Liz and I will take one bed while you sleep in your own, Amanda." I said. They nodded then took off their shoes and jackets and hopped into their beds. I climbed in I turned on the TV and sat on the couch to hear the news.

The entire east half of the country is now infected and we urge you to get prepared for the worst. Food, water, weapons, all important things in a time of crisis. The government is currently shipping people out to different volunteer countries. Find your loved ones and get to an airport before there is no one to fly you over seas. Now to Al with the weather.

"Well, that was exciting." I said to myself. I turned it off and hopped in bed. My mind wandered as I drifted into sleep and I was dreaming about my Dad and what we could have done together. He could have walked me down the isle and My grandkids would have loved to visit him during the summer. I fell asleep quickly because of how long the day was.

Unfortunately, I woke up at 3:00 in the morning to the sound of rustling by my back pack. I jolted up in bed and listened closely. The rustling had stopped but I saw a silhouette of a person by my bag. I reached over and turned on the lamp by my bed. There
was a stranger, a girl who seemed my age, with my pistols and knifes in her hands.

She made a break for it but I hopped up and threw my pillow at her, knocking her to the ground. Suddenly, I heard paws scratching at the door and whines and bark from the other side. "Trevor, I'm okay, just hang tight!" She said loudly but calmly. "Who are you?" I asked. "I'm Lylla. Now get off." She said through gritted teeth. "Not until you give me back my shiz!" I said cooly. "She slid the weapons onto the floor and then put her hands up as if she were surrendering. I got up and stared her up and down. She had lots of freckles and long, straight, honey brown hair that was pulled up into a high, tight pony tail with braided bangs. She was wearing a pair of jeans, black Keds, and a thin, lavender sweater. She also had a big, black, cross body bag. "What's in the bag." I asked with suspicion. "Water bottles, trail mix, a wind breaker, and a machete." She said calmly. I heard another bark. "Is that your dog?" I asked. "Yeah." She said as she walked over to the door to let him in. He was a big furry golden retriever with a long fluffy tail. "His name's Trevor. He's a good dog. He protects me." She said. That's when I noticed the dried blood around his mouth and paws.

Suddenly, both Amanda and Liz had jumped out of bed with their guns and knives ready. "Who's she?" Liz asked rudely with a nod. "Guys, This is Lylla. She's cool." I said. Lylla smiled and waved nervously. Amanda and Liz lowered their weapons and smiled back. Then, Amanda went straight to Trevor and gave him a big, warm hug and he licked her on the face right back.

"So, will you be joining us on this miraculous journey, Lylla?" Liz asked curiously. "I will if you want me too." She said. "THAT WOULD BE GREAT! I mean, you can tag along." I replied "smoothly".

"Great, we'll continue tomorrow." Amanda said.