Chapter 3: Threats

"Bring a tub! Fill it with seawater! I want this flopper in my cabin!" Andrea yelled once she recovered from her initial shock.

Her crew quickly scrambled away once recovering their senses, leaving the remaining men to hold the creature to the floor. Andrea walked around the mystical creature and took out her blade to cut away the rope that cut off his air. 

When the blade cut off the last bit the merman took in a large gulp of air, his chest rising and falling rapidly as he composed him. With careful strokes the tip of the blade traced the area where the blue scales of his tail met the smooth human skin. Long black hair was splayed across his abdomen, the tips meeting the back of muscular tail. Andrea couldn't help but notice as to how the human part of the merman resembled that of a god. It wasn't until then that she noticed blue eyes resting on her features.

At the strike of lightning Andrea quickly removed her pistol from her belt and pointed it at his forehead, "You dare move another inch you vile creature and I'll fly your head on my banner!"

"Captain!" Sparrow said followed by four men holding a glass box filled with seawater.

Andrea took a step back, tucking a loose strand of her dark hair behind her ear, "Take him to the cabin, make sure its nailed to the floorboards," she said sheathing her blade and tucking her pistol into her belt.

Suddenly the merman began to thrash about, growling and flying his fists about, causing several men to grab him with a quick pace and dumping him inside the glass box, sealing it with a metal lock, the key on a leather string around her neck, resting between her breasts.

Andrea watched the merman slam his fist against the glass box as the men carried it to her cabin.

*****

She glared at the merman, his eyes returning the gesture through the glass.

Andrea approached the creature, taking in his appearance upon closer examination. Blue, slitted  eyes glowed, matching the blue webbing that coated his elf like ears, one of them pierced with a small golden hoop. Her eyes wandered down the merman's pale skin, tracing the cuts and bruises across his chest that were healing right before her eyes.

"Do you speak?" she asked politely, her fingers tapping the glass. The merman continued to glare at her, his slitted eyes narrowed.

Andrea sighed, "I suppose not," she murmured and walked towards the desk, resting her back against it, "But you probably do understand me. So listen carefully. Never has a human seen a creature like you, so large sums of riches would be awarded for someone like you. However I have no desire to sell you, nor do I plan on letting you go. For now you shall remain in this glass box until I find a use for you."

The creature's mouth pulled into a snarl, flashing his sharp fangs.

Andrea laughed and leaned into to become face to face with the merman, "You don't threaten me darling."

******
Andrea sighed softly to herself, rubbing her tired eyes. She had spent most of her evening pouring over the charts, searching for other routes to seize merchant ships and avoid naval fleets.

Her eyes glanced up to the glass box where the creature was encaged. His body glowing dimly inside the water the merman halfheartedly trying to push the lid but it wouldn't budge.

Andrea watched him with curiosity but that feeling turned into one of alarm when his eyes closed and his chest stopped moving.

She quickly got up, pulling the key from in between her breasts and inserting it to the lock and opened the lid of the glass box. With a grunt she pulled the creature's head above the water.

It was then that the creature took a large gulp of air, his eyes opening wide, hands reaching out to support his weight.

"That's twice that I've saved you," Andrea said, squeezing the water from her sleeves after pulling away.

The creatures eyes narrowed at her, "You wouldn't need to save me if you let me go," the merman growled, absentmindedly rubbing the base of his neck.

A grin spread across her lips, "So the creature talks."

A low huff rose from his chest, "I request for my release."

Andrea shook her head, "Not now, later perhaps. But I would like to know about you. Tell me, what are you called?"

The merman rested his hands on the edge of the glass box, the glow of his tail casting an eerie light on his sharp features, "I am called Ansem."