Escape

I didn't have long to reflect on my betrayal, however. Shortly after tucking myself away, Loki came back. I was in the greatest position, his back was to me. His eyes roamed over the broken chains. I sprang forward as well as I could in a dress and hit him with more force then I intended. We both hit the ground hard. I was on top of him, staring down at his hardly ruffled expression.

One of his hands captured my wrist and held it tightly. But my other hand was free. I brought it down across his face with all that was in me. He flinched and I used it. I broke free and rolled off of him. He sat up quickly and was about to stand, but I managed to grab a hold of his arm. I heard a sizzle as my hand burned through the fabric of his shirt. He grimaced a bit and I knew I was burning his skin.

I began to drag him over to his cell, but he pulled away from my grasp. He shoved me backwards and I hit a wall. His hand clamped down on my neck before I could stop him. His fingernails dug into my skin and I began to gasp for breath. His face was emotionless, no rage or anger. Nothing. I lifted trembling hands and placed them around his wrists.

I burnt them and he dropped me. I hit the floor with a small thump. Loki rubbed his wrists and then advanced toward me. I was still gasping for breath but I managed to stand. He raised his hands to capture my neck again, but I grabbed them and shoved him backwards. He stumbled several feet before crashing into his cell. I raced forward and pressed the button.

The golden walls went back up in a moment. Loki snarled at me, now displaying the smallest bit of rage.

" Release me!" He yelled.

"Not on your life!" I responded with anger.

Suddenly, Loki smiled, but not at me. I swung around, but it was too late. Lawrence pressed the tip of the knife against my throat. He grinned at me with his yellowed teeth.

"Well well well! What do we have here? The course of escape never did run smooth, did it Loki? Any last words Lola?." He whispered. I closed my eyes and prepared myself.

" No." I whispered.

He raised the knife.

" Wait! What about Loki's  insurance? He needs me to escape! If you kill me, you loose your leverage." I said quickly. I glanced at Loki. He seemed slightly shocked, not at me but at Lawrence.

" We still need her! Do not be foolish boy!"  He commanded.

Lawrence grinned.

" I shall play the part. The poor innocent civilian boy. I don't need you." He said with glee.

I rammed into him before he could move. He hit the ground, the knife sliding across the floor. I dove for it, but a hand grasped my hair, yanking me back. I let out a yelp. My fingers were centimeters away. I pulled with all my strength and grasped the cool handle. I slashed sloppily behind me.

Lawrence hissed as I nicked his wrist. He pushed my face with his hand and I fell backwards. The knife was torn out of my grasp.

" Enough!" Loki yelled.

Both of our heads snapped to look at him.

" Has she bewitched you Loki?  I did all you asked. Give me this one victory. This one chance to get back at years of unreturned love. If she can't love me, she doesn't deserve to love anyone else!" Lawrence shouted.

" She is nothing to me!" Loki yelled, enraged that Lawrence thought he was weak.

As Loki said those words, we made eye contact. I let out a little half sigh. His cold eyes seemed to soften, but they hardened once again and I almost believed I imagined it. I turned back to look at Lawrence.

" Please. You don't have to do this. Lawrence. Please." I begged.

" I'm sorry Lola. Its too late. We are past the point of no return. If I let you go, I will be killed for my crimes. If I kill you, no one will ever know." He said almost sadly.

I was laying on the ground and Lawrence pulled me to my feet. He shoved my against the wall.

" I always hoped that you would come to love me. But then you struck me. It was in that moment that I knew you could never love me. You hit my face, but you hit my heart as well. Any love I ever had disappeared. Now, all I want is revenge against you, against Asgard. They killed my father! Sent him to war while he was sick! My mother died of grief. Not even her love for me could keep her here. I have no one left. This is the way it has to be." He said, moving closer, his grip on the knife tightening.

" Lawrence! Leave the girl. She cannot help us, but killing her is too easy. Take her with us. We can use her as our bargaining chip. Do not dare to defy me!" Loki said, his voice dangerously low.

" You're in the cell and I am the one with the power. I shall do as I wish. You are begging much to hard for her life. Have I found the great Loki's weakness?" Lawrence said, not taking his eyes off of me.

" I have no weaknesses! Do not mock me you mewling quim!" Loki yelled, outraged.

Lawrence smiled.

" Then you wont have a problem with this!" He yelled and swung the knife.

I felt it tear across my stomach. Like fire and ice, it burned while at the same time, the blood seemed cold. It wasn't like the stories I had read. It didn't make me scream. It didn't make me pass out.

Lawrence backed away, as if to see what I would do. I looked down, blood was seeping through my thin fabric. It was agonizing, but I felt as though I was watching from a distance, as though it wasn't me anymore. I pressed my hands weakly against the wound. Breathing in sharply at the pain.

Lawrence was watching me, curious as to why I hadn't done anything. I looked at Loki. He had his hands pressed against a table, as though supporting himself. His eyes were wide and looked slightly horrified. I noticed his face had a black handprint smattered across his left cheek.

We made eye contact. I couldn't say anything. He looked so lost. I smiled at him. I couldn't help it. I had always smiled when I felt sorry for someone, it was a habit. My knees buckled and I felt myself hit the ground. I still felt detached, as though I was a stranger to myself. I felt so sleepy. Despite the cold weather of winter, I felt warm. I closed my eyes. The pain seemed so far away. Maybe if I closed my eyes it would disappear. I drifted into a different type of darkness, a darkness so deep, I doubted I would ever see light again.