Thirty-Three || And So It Begins

Narrator's POV

Anakin awoke to the sound of glass shattering. His eyes flew open, telling him something was wrong. The Force told him something was definitely wrong. He shoots upright in bed, panting similarly to the way he would whenever he were to be haunted with a nightmare... but this wasn't a nightmare.

This was real. He could feel it.

He turns to his wife. She is asleep, she is peaceful, she is unharmed. She is fine. He knows he shouldn't disturb her, he has no desire to...

The twins.

He leaves his wife be. There is no harm present in their room at the moment, so it shouldn't matter whether he awakens her or not. He doesn't bother pulling on a robe. He rises, shirtless, from his bed, hot and sweaty. As if he had awoken from a nightmare, tossing him and turning him, tormenting him.

But yet again, this was no nightmare.

He begins to leave the room at a quick pace; but he is forgetting something. How could he forget?

He snatches his lightsaber from the side table against his side of the bed. The shiny holster gleams in the light of Naboo's moon peering in from the blinds as he darts from the room, letting the wooden door stay open behind him.

He hears children crying. His children. He's worried, and doesn't bother putting his shields up. His children should be able to sense he's coming... right?

He doesn't think. He can't think. He can think of nothing but terror. Terror is all he thinks about now, what could occur to his children, his wife...

No time for thinking any longer. Anakin slams the wooden door open, and a swings to reveal something almost as haunting as the scene in Kyla's apartment years back.

The glass to their window is shattered, pieces lie astray on the nursery's floor, and three Clones stand, lifting Leia from her crib. They look up at his entrance; did they really not think he would hear anything? They broke the window...

The Hero With No Fear acts immediately. He didn't have time to think first. He ignites his saber, the blinding blue color of justice, and approaches the Clones, who don't attempt shooting at him with blasters - not with the girl in their grip. He severs the head of one of the Sith's Clones, and presses the saber against the neck of one of the remaining ones, pressing him against the wall.

He leans towards the Clone's helmet and snarls, his best threatening voice he could muster, "Do you have any idea who you're messing with?"

The last time he could remember having to use a threatening voice was with Dooku, when he killed him three years back during the Chancellor's resuce. Out of the Chancellor's manipulation. He grits his teeth, sweat accumulating on his forehead as he drives the saber further across the Clone's neck as he struggles, fights for a response.

The other Clone, the last one, stands with Leia still in his arms - still able to escape. But he is stunned; he watches him. He knows Anakin - does he recognize him?

"It was just - a job," the Clone chokes out, but Anakin doesn't give in.

He lowers his voice to near a whisper, and doesn't take his teeth from being gritted. Through them, he snaps, "Don't you ever attempt a job threatening me, or my family, again. But you certainly won't be able to tell Demetrious this, will you?"

It wasn't good, his anger. It wasn't healthy, wasn't... safe. But whenever anyone threatened his family, he couldn't help it. And didn't regret a thing. As long as his family was safe, his anger was only a minor trouble he worked towards repairing...