Chapter 10: Keeper

It was night, but Taylor was having a difficult time sleeping, tired as she was. It certainly wasn't the accommodations. She'd been provided with a room to rival her own in Stark Tower; it was cavernous in its spaciousness, with one wall that was practically nothing but window and a wide balcony to match. The bed was heavenly as well. She had no idea what materials the mattress and pillows were made of, but god, they were perfect.

Unfortunately, it seemed that it was her mind, as per usual, that was keeping her from rest. Images of Loki kept springing to mind. Half of them were X-rated, provided courtesy of her unconscious fantasies the night before. The other half were of him, walking away without a word or glance after their meeting with Odin. He'd stormed off to his room before she could get a word in and slammed the door for good measure behind him, like a child throwing a tantrum. Well, she wouldn't bend to his will and go calling after him. They'd speak when he was acting mature. Even so...

A sigh that evolved into a frustrated groan marked the end of her attempts to lay down, relax, unsuccessfully attempting to keep her treacherous brain from straying to him. She threw the covers back, and padded out in her pajamas, deeming them appropriate enough to accidentally be caught in if someone else was wandering about in the late hours. The exact time was hard to determine since she didn't have a clock, but she assumed most people were asleep by that point.

Padding out into the hallway, she navigated the hallways aimlessly, hoping that walking would help her mind relax. Before she knew it, she found herself in a garden, sparingly lit, but beautiful even in the darkness. She wandered along the path, eyes tracing over leafy silhouettes when a rather human one suddenly caught her attention as it stepped in her way. Minding the foliage, she lit a small ball of fire in her hands and raised an eyebrow when she saw Loki.

Extinguishing the flame, she treaded closer, half expecting him to turn and walk away again, but pleasantly surprised when he did not. Not quite within arm's reach, she stopped, able to make out only some of his features. They stood staring at each other for a moment before she spoke.

"Still acting like a child?"

He snorted, folding his arms behind his back.

"I'm acting like a child?" he scoffed, "You do realize you were dancing on a bridge earlier, don't you?"

She narrowed her eyes at him, though she assumed he couldn't see it in the dark. In fact, Loki could see it. His vision at night was far keener than hers, especially with a simple spell, and he was able to distinguish her much more clearly than she could him.

"Right, but I wasn't stomping off and slamming doors in people's faces," she countered, waving a hand angrily.

Ah, he'd been hoping it would irk her and it appeared it had—enough that she was bringing it up, at least. He had his own bone to pick with her, but he planned to get some entertainment out of it in the process.

"What else were you expecting?" he questioned coolly, raising an eyebrow that she was just able to discern in the darkness, "Gratitude? Would you like me to grovel at your feet and shower praise upon you for giving me a few more blessed day's reprieve from my cursed prison?"

She took a step closer, partially to see him better, but also in response to his mocking tone. What an asshole!

"Well maybe not all that, but a 'thank you' would sure as hell be nice," she snapped.

"Oh, and I supposed I ought to be grateful you're my keeper as well," he added incredulously, rolling his eyes.

"Well, gee, Loki, I didn't realize I was so tough to be around. Too damn bad you got stuck with me and not Tony or something like that, right?"