Ten → Couple

jonathan

"A bit excited, aren't we?"

'Maybe.' I thought as the voice in my head taunted my happiness. Truthfully, I was a bit excited to see Desi after class. After our conversation in her car, it felt as if things would be different.

"Don't let her mess with you head."

He warned me as the final ten minutes of class were ticking down. I felt a paper ball thrown at me and sighed, knowing who it was from.

Hesitantly, I picked it up and already expected an insult since it was from one of Bo's friends. I unraveled the paper and read the word 'faggot freak' messily written on it.

I crumbled it back up and stuffed it in my backpack, making sure to throw it away later. Finally, I was able to leave when the bell rung a few seconds later.

I tried to pass through the people as fast I could, not wanting to draw any attention to myself. My eyes finally spotted Desi at the end of the hall, she was on her phone.

Letting out a sigh of relief that I wouldn't have to look for her, I started heading towards her. My peaceful walk there was interrupted when I felt my whole body being pushed against the row of neon red lockers.

Desi's eyes widened as she quickly hurried towards me. "Freak." Bo laughed as he and his friends walked away from me.

I knew there would be a bruise on my face due to how hard he pushed me. The pain was unbearable but no one stopped to help me up. Of course.

All I heard was laughter and whispers among the students as they watched me get up. Although, it was soon stopped.

By the time I stood up, Desi was already in front of me picking up my books. So that's why they stopped.

"Are you okay?" She asked, handing my books back. I nodded, as her eyes fell on what I assumed was my injured cheek. "You're bleedin-"

I shook my head as I started walking, not wanting to drive any more attention to the situation. She was following behind me, calling out for me.

"Jonathan, please." Her hand pulled me back as she looked up at me. "Let me take you to the nurse, at least."

"She's not going to help." I snapped, running a hand over my cheek. She was right, small drops of blood were on my hand.

"Just wait here." She told me, dropping her bag at my feet as she ran somewhere. It only took her two minutes to quickly return with a wet paper towel. "Can you sit down really quick?"

I did as she said, sitting down on a nearby bench as she bent down to wipe the blood away. Once she did that, she threw away the bloody paper and grabbed her bag.

Her hand reached in and she got a band aid out. "It's the best I can do right now." She gently placed the band aid on my face and looked over her work.

"Thank you." I softly told her as I stood up. She nodded and swung her bag back on her shoulder. "I guess our small meeting was interrupted."

"Lunch?" She offered to which I nodded. "Alright." The air was a bit awkward before she wrapped her arms around me. I stood there, motionless for a bit, until I awkwardly wrapped my arms around her too.

"I'll see you at lunch."