twenty nine

Lauren felt like she was in a dream.

Her heart was still beating violently against her chest from when she was forced to swerve off the road. She glanced back at their car, eternally thankful that they hadn't gotten in an accident.

Unfortunately, the people in the black minivan couldn't say the same. Lauren glanced back at the overturned car which was now completely enveloped in smoke. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion.

She reached out and grabbed onto her wife's shoulder as the blaring sound of sirens approached them. They were blinded by the lights as a firetruck skidded to a halt at the side of the road and men immediately began hurrying over to the overturned car.

It was so loud that Lauren could barely tell if the smaller girl in Camila's arms was still crying. All three of them now reeked of gasoline but Lauren didn't even notice. She was only worried about Camila and the small child that her wife had practically torn out of the totaled car.

"Is everything alright ladies?"

Camila and Lauren both jumped when they were approached by a man in uniform, and Lauren quickly got up to help her wife to her feet. The girl in Camila's arms held even tighter to her, refusing to lift her face from her shoulder as she cried helplessly.

"I'm assuming you called this in?" he asked, and Lauren nodded slowly. Before he could say anything else, though, one of the firefighters jogged over to them.

"There's signs of a child in there but there's no child within the radius of the c-," he started, but cut his sentence short when Lauren cleared her throat and nodded toward the girl in Camila's arms.

"Oh my god," the man called one of the paramedics over. "Is she hurt? Did she walk to you?"

Camila's eyes widened and she glanced at Lauren for help. The green eyed girl quickly stepped forwards slightly in front of her wife and shook her head.

"She, uh, she heard crying and got her from the car," Lauren explained, biting her lip. "She's not hurt as far as we can tell, except for this," she added, pointing to the small scrape on the girl's head to which the paramedic nodded.

"Boss, there's two passengers in there," another man appeared, pulling a mask off of his head. "It's not looking good."

"What do you mean?" the first officer asked. Lauren and Camila exchanged nervous glances.

"We can't find a pulse and Derek says it looks like the girl is pregnant."

"Take Rodrick back down with you and see if you can get a pulse going," the man's voice turned serious. "Go!" The firefighter quickly nodded and disappeared moments later. Camila glanced at Lauren, anxiety flickering in her eyes.

"Thank you for calling this in," the man turned back to them. The lights flickered against his face and made him look even more intimidating. "If you don't have any other information for us, you're free to leave."

"Here," a paramedic approached them, holding out his hands towards Camila. She glanced at Lauren worriedly and didn't make a move, so he took this as a sign to step forward and take the girl from her arms. As soon as he tried to pry her away, though, the child started crying even harder and struggled to cling onto Camila.

"I-I can hold her," Camila spoke up, glancing at the officers and then to her wife for help. Lauren nodded quickly.

"We have to check her out to make sure she's not injured," the paramedic explained, looking to the other officer. "I can take you guys up in the ambulance."

Lauren was surprised when Camila nodded, holding tightly to the girl in her arms who was still crying fearfully. The sound made her feel increasingly guilty, and she glanced over where the firefighters had begun sawing off the roof of the car to get inside. She shuddered.