Reality Strikes

**Unedited**

"Claire...Claire!" My mother's stern voice sounded from across the table, "I have been calling your name for a full minute, it is unbecoming to sit there 'spaced-out' darling." Ever since it became public that Nate and I were no longer an item my mother has been skirting around the issue, never once directly asking me what happened. I suppose it would be unbecoming of a lady to speak of such gossip.

But to be honest our mother-daughter relationship never really matured beyond puberty; I love my mother even with all her annoying tendencies but yes I do wish there was more than just this.

"I apologise, I was just thinking about the meeting with Ben's lawyers on Monday and just going over a few things."

"Would you like me to join you?" She asked, my expression was puzzled though I know I heard her right, "I wish you wouldn't look so shocked Claire-believe it or not I care about you and those girls and I know how much this means to you."

"I know all that mother, it's just I didn't think you cared much to get involed-you haven't exactly said much about the happenings of late." I reached over to pour myself another cup of tea but before I could grasp the handle a server came over to help. Today mother insisted that we joined high tea at the country club, I was not thrilled with the idea seeing as after the last spectacle with Nate at his dinner, I tried to avoid society as much as I could. Anywhere there was a chance for me to cross paths with Nate I actively avoided it.

"You know how I feel about gossip."

"It doesn't have to be gossip mother, you just have to ask me how I feel."

"I know how you feel Claire-more than you might think. And I know you need your space." I was about to rebut but I saw the slight glossing of my mother's eyes and I stopped myself. "You feel like a disappointment because you think you're failing in living your life, the man you are in love has betrayed your trust and your mother is a pushy bitch." In mid-bite of my finger sandwich, I was frozen in complete shock at my mother's words and just her use of the word 'bitch' but the fact that she said 'the man I'm in love with'. After moment she reached over and removed the partially bitten sandwich from my hands placing it back on the plate.

"Sweetheart, chew." She instructed and I followed. "I'd hope to never turn out like my own mother but I did and I have to apologise but you also need to understand you are my only daughter and I feel like I can share this with you now because I've seen how you are with those girls."

"I know you just want the best for me mother, I never doubted that-I was just never in agreement of your methods."

"My methods might have seem harsh and demanding because you could never make a decision Claire. I raised you to be a lady but I never raised you to be passive and somehow that is what you became." The taste of the bread became sour in my mouth as she spoke and not just because of her words but because she was right. All these years I whined about her treatment when really it was I that drove her to it. "Yes I was livid when you ran out on your wedding but it was not for the reason you think."

"So not because I embarrassed the family name?"

"My only daughter Claire, do you really think of me that cold. I want you to be happy and if that was with Marc then ok and if not that would have been fine too. But you ran from your family instead of coming to us. I was angry because my own daughter on her wedding day couldn't come to me and tell me that she was going to marry the wrong man. My own daughter chose to run than to seek my comfort and support." She stopped and took a deep breath to control her falling tears.

"Mother...I.."

"I'm not finished." She took another breath and then continued, "I was hurt Claire, I wanted to be there for you-I always have but you've never let me and I know I am also to blame but I am asking now," grabbing my and she clenched it tightly, "Let me be there. I don't think it's too late to try."