In memory of...

**Unedited**

A|N

I made a little mistake and posted the old version of this chapter--no need to read again I only deleted the last few paragraphs as I changed the flow of the story at the last minute.

____________

Every morning I woke up beneath my silky-smooth sheets and sunlight through my window, I think I never want to go back to New York but then I remember that paradise only remains that way if you keep it just out of reach. It was going to be a beautiful that was clear but I could feel that little dark cloud out there. I heard movement outside and I knew the rest of the house was up and about. I had the master room on the ground floor as the girls' room was on the other side of the living/dining room. So when everyone was present it was hard to ignore their presence. Cole and April was just arriving as I stepped out, breakfast was being prepared in the kitchen as usual by the Chef, the lanai was already prepped and ready for us.

"Oh there you are sweetie," my mother rushed over, "we have a full schedule today."

"We do?" I wasn't aware of any plans we had.

"Yes. After breakfast we have a bit of shopping to do,"

"What? Everyone?" I interrupted her as she ushered me outside to sit.

"Yes, now don't interrupt. Shopping for all none of us have the proper attire needed for today. We also have an appointment at the salon."

"Wait I'm just a little confused-proper attire for what?"

"It's a surprise." My father came to sit down and began reading the paper without any further explanation.

"But today is..." I started but my mother threw me stern look that stopped my next words.

"I am well aware what today is, we all are and we would like to have a little surprise for you and the girls. Is it too much to ask for you to allow us this privilege?"

"I didn't mean to sound ungrateful mother; this day is hard enough as is I wanted to just spend some quality time with the girls."

"And you will get that chance, now eat up." She ordered before she return to the kitchen insisting that the Chef work faster.

To my disappointed I got no further explanation as the day progressed; so after a while I decided to enjoy the day with the girls. They had fun shopping for dresses and watching the grown-ups play dress-up; it was quite comical watching my mother fuss around my dad and even though he whined I could tell he secretly enjoyed it too. The salon, as anticipated took up most of the afternoon, by the time we were all done we had just enough time for a quick shower. It was imperative that we got our destination before sunset.

"Ok so can I know what's happening?" I asked as we disembarked from the minibus. We had driven to a small beachfront property. There was a white tent on the sand, I couldn't see inside as it was enclosed from the view of the street. There were torches set up along the beach leading to the shore, a man was there playing a ukulele. The setting and ambience was beautiful.

"Cole," I whispered his name. "Did I miss something? Are you and April getting married?"

"What?! No! Are you crazy woman?"

"Well look at this place I had to ask." A few ladies stood there at the entrance to the beach and gave us all leis. Myself, Emily and Amy each got a garland for our heads. Looking at the beach and the music, I was wonderfully confused. "This is all so beautiful, I just don't understand why."

"This is memorial service of sorts. For Michelle." My mother answered.

"I..I.." I was stunned to silence and then to tears. I couldn't my family arranged all this. The girls saw that I was crying and came to comfort me.