16.

The next morning, I was awoken by the steady hum of a trucks engine. I slowly opened my eyes, only for them to meet the black roof of the cab, as well as sunlight as it streamed through the windows and windshield. The sky was a beautiful light blue, and there wasn't a cloud in sight. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, fixing the seat into its rightful position before I began to stare out of the window. "You're awake..." the voice of Optimus spoke softly, catching my attention. I turned my head to face the dashboard and smiled softly "Yeah, I just woke up. Sorry if I slept so long" I apologised, shifting my position to get more comfortable. Optimus chuckled "It's quite alright, the others are still asleep as we speak, Bumblebee has taken charge of Cade whilst Crosshairs has taken charge of Shane and Tessa" he informed me, slightly increasing his speed along the road.

I nodded my head in acknowledgement "How long have we been driving?" I questioned, turning back to look out of the window "Only for a couple of hours, we should reach Chicago by nightfall" he stated, which I hummed in response. A comfortable silence fell over the both of us as we continued to drive along, just enjoying each others company. "Can I ask you a question Y/n?" Optimus mumbled quietly, almost as if he was afraid to do so. I nodded my head "Sure, fire away" " What was your life like before you met Bumblebee, and before you met me?" he asked, with a hint of nervousness to his voice. It surprised me really, why would the great Optimus Prime suddenly become nervous when asking about my life? I shrugged it off as nothing before speaking "Well, it certainly wasn't this interesting. It was pretty much a simple life, I still knew Cade, and helped him around his house and helped him to take care of his family after his wife died. After all that the Battle of Chicago happened and all hell broke loose. Then maybe a 2 years after that happened that's when I met Bumblebee, you know what happened there and then the rest is history" I finished, not once taking my eyes off of the dashboard. 

Optimus hummed in response before speaking again "It doesn't bother you that you're here now? In a dangerous situation such as this?". I thought for a minute. Did it bother me? I wasn't sure, "I don't really know" I spoke quietly "Maybe a little bit, but I also feel safe knowing that you're around I guess..." I told him, blushing slightly at my own words. Wait, why am I blushing? Is there something wrong with me? Again, Optimus hummed to signal his response before we fell into a less comfortable silence. 

There was an unknown tension in the air, one neither one of us wanted to bring up. But it was there, and it was bothering me greatly. "I-I mean, I do feel safe with you around...i-it's just I...nevermind, I'll stop talking now" I stuttered, burying my head in my hands in embarrassment. This time, a chuckle echoed throughout the cab, "I understood what you meant Y/n, there was no need for further explanation" the Prime snickered, to which I folded my arms over my chest in a pout. "You could have told me that..." I whined, which only made Optimus laugh more. I'd never heard him laugh before, he was always so composed, always looking like he meant business, so to hear this side of him I'm guessing was very rare. We fell into silence once more, with neither one of us wanting to disturb the other. But it looks like someone had a better idea.

"Hey bossbot, can I speak to Y/n for a minute? These two kids are driving me crazy" Crosshairs complained, using the com link to contact us both. I giggled to myself quietly whilst I heard Optimus sigh in annoyance "Very well, go ahead" he responded, which caused the bright green mech to sigh with relief "Oh thank god, Y/n, I need your help here" he stated, obviously sounding either desperate, or just annoyed. "Okay, what's wrong?" I asked him, "The children started making out in the back seat and I was feeling really uncomfortable, so I told them to stop and they got angry at me and now they're yelling at me what do I do?" He spoke quickly, in a panicked tone. I couldn't help but laugh loudly, covering my mouth to try and deafen the sound "Oh my god, you haven't told Cade yet have you?" I questioned, still trying to stifle my laughter. 

Crosshairs groaned "Uhhh, yeah, he's yelling at me too" "You really shouldn't have done that" "Yeah, I regret ever saying anything". At this, Optimus chuckled in amusement and I smiled whilst shaking my head "I'm not getting involved Crosshairs, but tell them I said they can do whatever they want after all this is over. Oh and by the way, good luck" I snickered, smiling to myself as the bright green bot sighed over the com link, "Yeah thanks, I'm going to need it" he grumbled before the coms went silent. I rolled my eyes and brushed stray strands of hair from my face "Well, that was certainly...something" Optimus spoke awkwardly, revving his engine in emphasis. I leaned forward and gently placed my hand on the dashboard "I don't think we need to worry about that, Cade's going to give them an ear full when we get to Chicago" I winced before leaning back in my seat. 

An amused hum came from Optimus, before the rest of the journey was continued in another comfortable silence, without any more unnecessary distractions.