Chapter Five

"The broken promise"

"Here I stand alone amidst the known, all I want is you, but you are nowhere to be found."

"Helen, did you call his secretary?"
I asked Helen, my secretary as I moved out of my BMW towards my apartment.

"No ma'am. I tried calling his secretary and I even tried his phone but both were straightaway directed to their respective voicemails."

"Damn, this man. Have you done all the research I asked for?" I rushed towards the elevator, but not before nodding at Sam.

He smiled back.

"Yes ma'am. Indeed I did that. All papers that you requested are ready. We are good to go. We just need some footage to stand strong."

"Good work, Helen. Talk to you later." I hung up the phone as I unlocked the door of my apartment.

As I opened the door, the darkness hit me.

Its not something new to me now, but still the emptiness that is accompanied with darkness is something that I am scared of. The hollowness that accompanies it is something I am afraid of. My apartment is merely a house filled with stuff and furniture. Its just what it is -a house, merely a place made of wood and bricks, to keep you secure. It can never become a home for me. It can never be a home I always looked for. A home that holds love, memories, moments and the person you love.

I moved towards the kitchen counter to put my stuff.

My apartment was two bed-room apartment; me and Shane bought it. We bought the two bedrooms flat because we thought that if we will have fight then he won't have to sleep on couch.

I chuckled as I thought of the conversation we had when we came to see this apartment. It is not that luxurious but one of the bedrooms is attached to the drawing room and the other has a door near the kitchen at the end of the hallway.

"You sure you want this?" Shane asked as he looked around.

Yes I do want this. You know how much I am scared of living alone in a big home. Its small yet cozy. I replied.

"Who says you have to stay alone?" He looked at me raising one of his eyebrow.

I meant when you have to go out for the work and then I would have to stay alone, no? And you know I am scared of darkness." I said as I turned around to face him and put my hand around his neck

"I won't leave you alone..." he slid his hand around my waist and pulled me closer, "...ever."
Besides, I will be the light that will lighten your life, even in the darkest moments of your life. you don't have to feel afraid of the darkness. Not anymore, because I promise you will always find me beside you.. I promise." He pulled me and kissed me hard.

I smiled in the kiss.

"I know." I said and kissed him back.

Tears sprung from my eyes.