» report cards

"I got my report card today," She mumbled. "My folks aren't happy with my math grade."

   "What did you get on it?"

"The teacher gave me a B, which isn't bad really but they said it shows that I'm letting my personal writing time take away from extra studying time."

"That's seriously BS. Don't they know that C is average? So what's wrong with getting a B? It shows you're above average, even if it's not an A. Plus, C is good. It means you're not even failing. Everyone has started a notion of getting anything lower than A means that you'll never succeed in life. Sure, having good grades is extremely important and you do need them, but a few bad grades are not going to ruin your life. Do me a favor and put away that report card, and take this piece of paper. Create your own report card right now. And don't write down 'math, science, English,' write imaginary subjects. For example, writing a novel in a month, or reading ten books in three weeks, or drinking a lot of coffee, wearing different types of leggings for two weeks, or making really cool edits in slideshows. All of which you'd get an A on. And know that maybe you don't excel in some other imaginary subjects but just accept them. Here's mine." I handed her my brand new report card.

1. Watch 2 years worth of a TV show in two weeks on Netflix: B+

2. Draw stick figures: A++

3. Paint a drawing like Picasso: Z-

4. Make a really delicious cake: A-

5. Write an essay on the day it's due: A-

6. Listen to amazing songs: A+++

7. Write down all of the brilliant things your best friend says so you can apply them to your life and not actually fail at it: A++++++++ x100 (Wow you're so good at this, keep at it!)

"See, I'm not such a bad student after all." I beamed up at her when she started laughing at the third subject.

"Z-?"

"An F wouldn't do justice."

"Thank you..for this." She waved the paper.