Another Species

Chapter 23: Another Species

            I was really dreading Monday morning for several reasons. First of all, because I hadn’t done my English homework. Secondly, I still haven’t caught up with the missed sleep. Thirdly, because I was going to see Calvin and Mia.

The whole weekend I was thinking about a way to get Calvin and Mia back together. The one that needed convincing was Mia, and she would also need an explanation to why Calvin kissed another girl. At the moment I had zilch for a plausible excuse. My implausible excuses ranged from she was his sister and they kiss on the mouth to he thought it was you, because a heartbreaker changed her appearance so that you would look the alike. I’m not that sure she would believe those. I was at the point of giving up. I could implant an idea in her head, but my moral compass was against it. Just because I was a matchmaker, didn’t mean that I could just control somebody’s free will.

A voice next to me brought me out of my depressing thoughts. “Sour gummy worm?” Lena asked as she walked over to me and shoved one in her mouth.

“No, thanks. Eating sour gummy worms right after breakfast is kind of weird if you ask me.” I admitted.

“After breakfast? This is my breakfast.”

“Even worse.”

“Don’t knock it, before you tried it.” Lena said as she bit into another worm. “Anyways, what’s wrong?”

“Why would anything be wrong? I’m completely fine.” I lied.

“Will. You should know by now, that you can’t lie to me. Whenever you do, you stare at the floor.” Lena said.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” I said in vain, as I made a mental note not  to look at the floor anymore whenever I lie.

She just looked at me with her intimidating look, and I knew she wasn’t going to let go.

“Mia and Calvin had a date Friday and it went really badly. Well, actually it never even started.” I admitted.

“And why are you so worried about it?”

“I kind of feel responsible, since I’m the one that set them up.”

Lena groaned and slapped her forehead. “This isn’t your fault, Will. Stop telling yourself that you’re the bad guy.”

“Yeah, well easier said then done.” I said as I rubbed the back of my head. “I want to help them, but I don’t know how.” I admitted.

“Maybe I can help?” Lena suggested.

“I highly doubt it.” I said glumly.

“Try me.” Lena challenged.

I looked at her unsure that she would be able to help, but decided to tell her anyways. “The problem is that as Calvin was waiting for Mia at the skating rink, a girl… ehm… she came up to him and kissed him. Calvin somehow thought it was Mia and kissed her back, but then realized when the kiss was finished that it wasn’t really Mia. Of course Mia saw the whole thing and ran of.”

I glanced at Lena to see her reaction. Her face was between surprise, disbelief, and confusion. “How could Calvin in God’s name have thought it was Mia? How stupid can he be?” She exclaimed after a few seconds.

“Yeah, I know it sounds kind of unbelievable and unrealistic, but I’m a 100 percent sure that Calvin is telling the truth.”

Lena shook her head. “I believe you, but it doesn’t make Calvin any less stupid.”