Chapter 20

Dedicated to @Habzii

Omg, so sorry for the late update guys, been busy. Thanks for all your support and I was also thinking of joining the Wattys 2015. What do you guys think?

Chapter 20

Why Lucas?

I blinked my eyes again, hoping what I was seeing was just delusional. It wasn't.

When Vanessa pulled me away, passing by the disgusting couple which I had the urge to accidentally tumble into in hopes that they would end up frolicking on the ground, Lucas didn't even turn his head. Even if a tank passes by, he probably wouldn't notice it. He was too preoccupied sharing his saliva with the bitch.

I tried analyzing everything, I really tried but no answer came up. It just didn't add up from how Lucas treated me, from him as the perfect stereotype of a charming prince, to a guy engaging in too much PDA. It just showed that we didn't know much about each other. And nor did I know much about Vanessa who was currently sitting on my bed, her soulless eyes staring into dead air.

"Spill Nessa and don't even deny that you're not affected or else I'll confront Lucas instead," I said confidently.

She finally averted her eyes at me. "No Clarissa, please." She caught hold of my arm. "I don't want to get involved anymore."

"What do you mean?"

Her eyes started brimming with tears and her lips quivered slightly. "Lucas and I—"

The door suddenly swung open and in came a furious looking Ria. She obviously saw the ghastly scene.

"Nessa are you alright? I mean I kind of know you have a crush on Lucas."

The truth was finally out in the open. Ria's bluntness broke Nessa down. From then did I notice how fragile Nessa was, how thin and weak she truly was as she spilled everything. It was wrenching to see.

"Lucas and I---we were best friends since childhood. We hung out a lot until Anastasia came to the picture. When Anastasia pulled the big prank on me, I wasn't really sad because of what she did. What made me so sad was because Lucas wasn't there for me. He couldn't even look at me. For the first time in my life I felt like trash that deserved to burn in hell. How could I believe in myself, when no one could believe in me? W-when Lucas as so much acted like I didn't deserve even just his look of sympathy? What does that make of me then?" She sobbed on Ria's shoulder.

"Alright, I'm going to kick his annoying ass now." I clenched my teeth.

"I'll help you," Ria added.

"No guys please, it's over. I'm fine, maybe he just lost interest in me. I mean I'm such a boring friend." Nessa gave us a painful smile.

I think I'm gonna go give Lucas a black eye too.

"He's an asshole for not wanting to be your friend. You're great Nessa."

"Yeah, he's not only an asshole, he's also very stupid for replacing you with that bitch."

Nessa smiled, a real smile. "We weren't like that though, we were just friends, and besides it's only natural for them to kiss each other."

"I don't like where this is going."

"What do you mean natural? Like a natural attraction?"

Nessa gave us a tight-lipped smile. "They're engaged."
*****
Nessa cried herself to sleep as Ria and I tried to console her. She said it would be her last time to cry and that she was really sorry. When she was on the verge of falling asleep she kept saying sorry which annoyed me so much because she shouldn't have felt that way if it wasn't for Lucas. They should freaking apologize to her.