05: Plan B

"I should be stronger than this. It's been long since I last attacked..."

   "Be patient with yourself," he said in a gentle tone. "How we're living, you have the strength for it."

   "It sickens me how much I yearn for a small taste of human blood. I miss enjoying the smell of fresh apples, or bread right out of the fire, not this."

   "Tell me, then, what can you smell now?"

   I closed my eyes and inhaled. "You... Leaves warmed by the sun, crushed grass, the wood burning in the chimney, blood."

   "If you're not going for the blood at this very moment, I think you can control yourself. I advice for you to drink vervain every now and then."

   "It burns."

   "It will make you stronger against it; it won't hurt as much if someone uses it against you. You will resist compulsion from my siblings."

   "What have I done to have that used against me?" I asked, frowning. "I haven't killed someone in weeka, and I've yet to destroy cities."

   "There are beings out there that just wish to harm us," the man said, giving me a soft smile. "They wish to kill us. I am telling you this because you deserve to live, from what I've seen. Don't you want to live? To fall in love? I hear that many women want that for themselves."

   "Why would I do that? Love is... Love is useless, it's pathetic. I do not wish to fall in love again."

   The Lockwood's were holding a masquerade ball, or something along those lines. I decided to go along with Stefan and Elena. Well, Stefan thought it'd be good if I came along in case Katherine saw that he and Elena weren't broken up, like she wanted them to be. I was the thing that came between them, the wall one could say. I sopped them from getting too close and showing affection in public.

   "Clara!" Stefan called out. I turned to see him and Damon, which made me a bit curious. Damon decided to stay back at the boarding house and have nothing to do with the Lockwood's since the wolf's bite would cause us vampires to die. He thought Stefan and I were stupid for coming along.

   "What's going on?" Elena asked, glancing from them to me.

   I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm not sure... I'll be back." I laid a mask down and followed the pair. We stopped where there were no workers.

   "Bonnie saw Katherine kissing Mason," Stefan said as soon as we stopped. He crossed his arms and paced to the other side of the small place, and then Damon did the same.

   "Katherine's with Mason Lockwood?" Damon asked, making a face. 

   I recalled the conversation we—Stefan, her, and I—had in the Salvatore cells. She said she came back for Stefan, which made no sense. If she was with Mason, then why was she here for Stefan? Could she possibly be using him for something? Maybe she wasn't here for Stefan at all. Maybe she was here for what we all were searching for—the moonstone.

   "We missed it," Stefan sighed. "He got into town right after she did. It makes perfect sense."

   "I know, but Mason Lockwood?" Damon continued, almost as if he couldn't believe it. "Werewolf thing aside, the guy is a surfer. She's got to be using him. She has to be."

   "Using him for what though?" I looked at the two of them, raising brow.

   "Mason Lockwood is looking for a moonstone that allegedly can break the full moon werewolf curse," Damon informed. "Maybe Katherine wants it as well."