III : Not Childhood Friends

Jimin and I were always best friends. Well we're not the kind of best friends that are friends since childhood like what you found in teen novels. I have no childhood friends since the neighbors that live in my street either are a sweet elder couple, have no children, or have children but their child is like still a baby or already a senior high-schooler when I was just a kid. At school I used to got along well with everyone, and kinda have no specific best friend.

That was my life up until my 4th grade in primary school, when suddenly news about perverted uncles spread around school. Parents were going crazy and so did the school. Parent meetings were oftenly held in my school to discuss about the issue. We kids are now equipped with emergency whistles to school, and were taught to run if a stranger approaches. My school finally came up with a solution: to make the students go to school and go home from school in groups according to where they live.

As I said, I have no kid my age in my street. So my parents got kinda paranoid and started finding out if there is any kid going to the same school with me living nearby. After days of searching, they finally found the Park family. The Parks had just moved in and resides a block away, and more imprortantly the Parks have a little Park Jimin who is on my age. Since their house is closer to the school, we agreed that I will meet Jimin infront of his house every morning before walking to school together.

On my first day of meeting him my mom accompanied me to his house. We waited in front of his house for like ten minutes, but he hadn't show up. My mom decided to knock on their door. Mrs. Park seems to be in a hectic situation opening the door for us. "Oh my, good morning Mrs. Lee and little Jinhee. I'm very sorry that we kept you waiting, but my Jimin won't stop crying after I told him about those perverted uncles. He was too scared to get out from the house," she said sounding tired and a little stressed. Sounds of a little kid sobbing and whining could be heard coming from the kitchen.

What a crybaby.

"Jiminnie, come here. Your friend is here!" Mrs. Park approached the kitchen, trying to bring out Jimin. The house suddenly became quieter, the sobs and whines stopped and sounds of Mrs. Park lecturing Jimin could be heard. I couldn't really grasp the words but some of them were

"stop", "infront of a girl", "shouldn't cry", "will like her",and "pretty".

Jimin blowing his nose then could be heard.

Yuck, this kid.

Mrs. Park then returned to us on the living room, this time bringing a frowning Park Jimin looking like a mess with tear stains on his cheeks and a little red nose. I guess I should be the one initiating introductions with him then..

"Hello, my name is Lee Jinhee. Let's go to school together!" I said giving him my widest smile while offering a handshake.

"P-Park Jimin. Hi." he said as he took my handshake, he was looking down and being all shy.

Our mothers decided that we should really leave now if we don't want to be late for school. Jimin was a little hesitant at first but then agreed. After bidding our goodbyes to our mothers, we left for school.

After about 3 minutes walking in complete silence, I noticed that he was still afraid. This kid is starting to get on my nerves...

"Yah." I said.

He stayed silent but looked at me.

"You don't need to be afraid, I'll protect you from those ahjusshis*," I said with a little scolding tone.

He scoffed.

This kid is really something. I thought trying to hold my temper back.

"Don't be silly, boys are the ones who are supposed to protect girls. I'll be the one to protect you."