Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Ch. 6, Shopping

ARA

"Hey, Princess, look what I-"

It was too late. I had missed my chance.

"Look, asshole, it's Ara." I blew up, angry at myself and him. "Not that hard, just two-syllables. I could probably teach a monkey to say it, so I think I can teach you."

He looked surprised and then stared at the ground, but not before his eyes swept over me. I crossed my arms over my bra. At least maybe now Jeb would stop asking if I really was a girl. He kept his eyes down as he set a wicker basket next to the fountain and went back to pumping.

I felt guilty when I realized he had been in the store collecting things for me. It was hippy organic crap; colorful soaps wrapped in ribbons, tiny vials of shampoos and conditioners, but there was also a blessed comb.

"Thanks." I sounded like a sulky child.

"No problem. I thought we could go shopping tomorrow. We can't have you showing up to the clan looking like a bum."

I froze, but Kaden didn't see my reaction.

"So where is this clan?"

He paused. "Nearby."

Nearby. I needed to escape soon.

I finished washing and stepped out of the fountain, shivering in the cool night air and dressed quickly. Then I cleared my throat. Kaden turned, giving me a slow smile.

"Wow, Princess, you clean up good."

I glared at him, but he only laughed, and this time, he made no move to tie my hands as he led me away from the fountain. On the way back, Kaden led us into a surfer shop. Most of the women's clothing racks stood untouched, and I picked out a t-shirt, hoodie and jeans. When I emerged from the changing room, Kaden fell off the skateboard he was riding around the shop, and it careened into one of the shelves with a dull thunk. He gave a low whistle, and I narrowed my eyes at him, but he only laughed.

I held out Sam's leather jacket. "Here, give this back to Sam."

"Keep it. We'll get Sam a new one tomorrow. Besides, it looks better on you."

When we returned to the others, I was surprised to see four bean bag chairs, each almost as wide as a mattress and as high as my waist. Kaden led me to the largest one.

"Hold out your hands."

"I thought we had gotten over these petty trust issues?"

He wrapped the rope around my wrists, mercifully tying them in front of me.

"You really think I would try to escape?" I smiled, already thinking I would steal his backpack and Sam's jacket as soon as they fell asleep.

"Nah, do you know how hard it is to climb off these things quietly?" He pushed me backwards, and I fell awkwardly, the rope making it impossible to catch myself.

I slept uneasily, tossing and turning as I dreamt of men with dark holes for eyes who crawled from a muddy pit and pulled me down into it. The more I fought, the deeper I sunk. Even when I jolted awake, shivering and breathless, my thoughts spun. How many men lived at the clan? Where was it? Who ruled it?

I woke to Kaden shaking my shoulder. I jerked away from him, for a moment forgetting where I was and terrified at the sight of a man.

"Rise and shine, Princess. We're going shopping."

The room was cold, the fire long dead and the others gone. After we ate, Kaden led us from the storeroom back into the heart of the mall. In the daylight, the mysterious, haunted feel was replaced by only a sad emptiness. Kaden knew where to look and together we pushed through piles of debris to find hidden treasures. I found a large backpack, and a sleeping bag that, when compressed, could fit into a shoebox. I picked out hiking boots, tennis shoes, jeans, shirts, and a flannel top. I'd never enjoyed shopping, but it was fun taking things for free, almost thrilling, like I was stealing them. I even snuck a few things in when Kaden wasn't watching; a pocket knife, a journal, and a compass.

Above everything else, I needed to find the way home.

Kaden had found a new coat for himself, black and thick, made to last through harsh winters. It felt strangely intimate, shopping with Kaden. He was clever and quick-witted, and despite the fact that I was his prisoner, I enjoyed his company. It had been so long since I'd talked with another human, and Kaden had an easy way about him. He told me about the mall, how they marked the stores they searched, but he also told me funny stories about the other men. I found myself smiling then stopping myself. This man was not my friend, no matter how charming or handsome he was.

"Umm, do you need any unspeakables?" Kaden asked. I stopped for a moment, baffled by his word choice, until I saw the pink walls and floors of the store beside us.

Oh.

"Definitely," I decided on a whim, and walked into Victoria's Secret. Just because it was the end of the world didn't mean a girl couldn't have new underwear.

We walked past rows of brightly colored panties and lacy lingerie. The sultry stares of the women in posters felt foreboding in the dim light.

"Say what you want, but this is the creepiest store in the mall." Kaden's voice cut through the silence. "Like what is this thing?" He held up a garter strap.

I laughed as I gathered what I needed. I chose simple clothing, and took a page out of Kaden's book, selecting all black. I'd had enough of bright colors.

Despite the easy feeling of camaraderie between Kaden and I, he was always alert. I felt his eyes on me even when they weren't. A sense of competition hung between us, like opponents circling each other, waiting for an opening. But I had always been a competitor, so I enjoyed the day, hoping to lull him into a false sense of security. I laughed, smiled, and talked with him, but I never let his charm impair my judgement. While I might need the supplies, I didn't need Kaden. I would never again rely on another person.

My father had taught me well.

The daylight faded, and Kaden and I finished our search. We hadn't seen the others all day. Kaden said they had gone "scouting," whatever that meant. We had just passed the fountain with the lady flying her kite when Kaden and I turned the corner and froze.

Seven huge dogs stood before us.

The beasts snarled, revealing sharp teeth. But they weren't normal dogs. Their eyes were milky, unfocused, and weeping blood. They walked with the lurching stride of the infected. Leading them was an enormous all-black beast that looked closer to a wolf than dog.

"They're infected," I whispered, taking a step backwards. Kaden slid his knife from its sheath, a slick metallic note.

Then he grabbed my hand.

"RUN!"