chapter nine

Aspasia   Everwood

“Hello?” after a long day, and a long meeting, we were home at six thirty and I wanted to fall asleep. So shoes, jeans, and all, I fell onto my bed and turned to Jada’s, ready to talk to her about everything that had just happened. But her bed was empty. She came out of the bathroom in that pro outfit she had picked out that morning, and her hair wrapped in a towel, “Girl, what are you doing?”

            “I have a date with Diggy of the Simmons at seven, thank you very much.”

            “You’re welcome very much,” I rolled over in my bed.

            “Unless you want to stay and talk about…”

            “No! Let’s just not talk about the meeting. I don’t want you crying before you’re whole big date with your husband thing,” I sighed.

            “Love, we need to talk. I know,” Jada said, sitting at the end of my bed.

            “You are so absolutely and annoyingly right,” I sighed, sitting up, “what’s been bothering you lately? Wait…no. Rephrasing the question. What’s with you and Nick?”

            “Stop,” she laughed wiping a tear from her eye before it ruined any of her make-up, “making me emotional!”

            “It has to be done,” I shrugged, handing her a tissue from off of my night stand.

            “I thought this would be easy. He loves me. I love him. Or at least I think he loves me. Aspasia, I can’t lose Nick. Even if I fall in love with Diggy and we end up having this fairy tale and we get married, none of it would matter if I don’t have Nick in my life. He’s the best friend I’ve ever had. And the most amazing person I’ve ever met.”

            “You won’t lose him, Jada. I promise. And if he’s not calling you or whatever, then doesn’t that just say something about his character? Or about the break up. He’s mad you two broke up. He’s angry and sad. And right now he just might need a little time. And I know that didn’t just set off the dynamite. What else is going on?”

            “It’s just…I know I couldn’t trust these words with anyone but you. I don’t know why, though. Do you ever worry about Vince? Or Castello? Or even Cruise?”

            “Every day of my life,” I said, putting my arms up to the sky, “I don’t know why! Jada, when this whole thing started…we were all just friends. Not even,” a tear rolled down my cheek, “remember the first band rehearsal ever, when I declared that Cruise was the anti-Christ and said I would never speak to him again? Or when you called Joey an ignorant troll?”

            “You hated Cruise. I hated Joey. Vince hated Castello.”

            “But girl, we all made up. We made friends. And then best friends…and now we’re like family. They’re like my older brothers now, and I know it’s the same way for you.”

            Someone knocked on our room door, and then Kelly entered.

            “Peace out ladies,” she smiled. She was wearing a pair of gray slacks, a white blouse, and a diamond necklace. Along with some very high heels that I had never even imagined her in. And I’d known her all my life!

            “Uh, where are you going?”

            “Sorry, but I didn’t have six kids. I have a husband, but not six kids. And we’re in New York. So we’re having a date night. Probably won’t be home until really late tomorrow.”