Wings

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~❶~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I jolt up in bed, looking around. I smile and see the arrows hanging from the walls. I get up and steal one of Clint's sweatshirts before heading down the hall to my room. I take a quick shower before heading to my lab, and continuing to work on the bracelet. By morning, I've finished working on the bracelet and head to the training room, grabbing the wings as I go. When I get there, Steve and Sam are there practicing. "Hey, boys. What's up?"

They turn to me and smile. "Hey, Anna. How are you doing?"

"Better. Sorry about before. I really need to set a timer while I'm in the lab. Anyway, I finished the wings. Want to be a guinea pig?"

Sam looks at me and shrugs. "It's not the craziest thing you've had me do this week. Let's give it a go."

"First, you need to understand this tech. The wings are made of your average metals, strengthened and made lighter by yours truly. There are manual controls but the main function of these wings are going to be through your mind."

"You aren't gonna be putting some chip in my head, are you?"

I laugh. I hear the doors open behind me. "I am not a neuron surgeon, so no, I won't be putting a chip in your head."

Sam smiles before looking worried. "And you're not gonna have anyone else put a chip in my head?"

"No microchips. This bracelet will do the communication for you. You could even call it to you if you wanted as long as you have the bracelet. It also doubles as a watch and communicator." I put it on his wrist and hit a few buttons. It lights up and starts to work. "Now for the wings."

I grabs the wings from where I left them on the floor and help Sam into them. I fits like a glove and he moves around, adjusting to it. "These are nice. They look like the old ones but lighter."

"That's the point. Well, that and making Tony jealous of my pure genius since I made it lighter but no less dense and it's not hollow."

Sam smiles and the wings start flapping a bit. Thrusters engage and he flies up a bit. "What's going on?" Sam cries, nervous.

I laugh and grab his hand, bringing him back down. The wings are controlled by your thoughts. What were you thinking?"

"That is was so light it could float on its own," Sam replies. "This is gonna be hard."

"It's not too hard but it will take some getting used to. Lucky for you, you have me to help you learn and you already have the basic knowledge of flying. We'll work on muscular control today and we'll do tricks tomorrow."

"Alright. Where do we start?"

"In a minute. First, anything that you guys need from me?" I do a spin and no one says anything. "Alright. Let's go to the side." I spend hours explaining everything to Sam and we get him in the air. He's keeping up with me and flying laps.

"Hey, guys!" Steve calls. We both turn to him and I wave. "You coming down today? It's dinner time."

Sam instantly flies down and takes his wings off, hanging them on the wall next to his other wings. "I'll be by a little later. I'm going to do a little work here for a while."

"Oh, no you don't," Steve says. He grabs a clip from the wall and steps into it. "You are coming with me. I'm not letting you work yourself into the ground." Steve grabs my hand and we glide to the ground.

I retract my wings and stare at him, pouting. "Isn't this Clint's job? You know, my brother. Do you remember him?"

"Yeah, I remember him. He misses you. He called yesterday looking for you and told me to take care of you so I'm gonna drag you to dinner."

I groan and suddenly a thought comes to my mind. "That reminds me, why did I wake up in Clint's room?"

Steve looks at Pietro who looks at me surprised. He starts laughing. "Well, why don't you ask Pietro? He's the one that put you there."

"You said I'd know the door when I saw it. There aren't many doors with pictures drawn by young children signed by Anya now are there?" Pietro whisper yells to Steve.

"My door is the one that has my name on a piece of wood that I painted. Clint has just kept some of the pictures I drew him since I was adopted. He's proud and likes to show it off. Why would I cover my door in old pictures I drew?"

Pietro shrugs and holds his hands up in surrender. "I don't know. Steve said it was unique. Compared to the bland gray doors everywhere else that is red carpet."

"Anyway, you're not letting me out of dinner, are you?" I ask, looking at Steve. He shakes his head and I sigh, "I should have known."

"Yeah, then you get to go and get some sleep. Doesn't that sound wonderful?!" Steve asks, with fake childlike enthusiasm.

I grab him around the neck and start messing up his hair. He laughs and tries to throw me off but I wrap my legs around is chest to hold on. Sam joins in and grabs my, trying to pull me off. I shoot my wings out and they knock him away, I take Steve into the air and fly around low to the ground. Sam jumps on us and we roll around as we calm down. Steve gets up and helps Sam up before he comes and grabs me. Wanda smiles at me while Pietro turns away. I stare at his back and the smile falls off my face.

I walk with my head down as we all go to dinner. As we sit down, Pietro comes up to me. "Hey, Anya. Can I talk to you? Alone?"

I look at Steve who nods and I stand up taking my food with me. "We can talk in my room. Come on."

y5