Chapter 14: What Are Friends For

Hunter

"Will you get over yourself!" She giggled pushing the palm of her hand against my face. I kissed it grinning at her playful gesture. This side of Cas was perfect. It was a unique kind of happiness that came out in waves, it was like as soon as a smile erupts from her face she could get the whole world smiling.

"But it's true. I'm irresistible" I smirked flexing my muscles watching her eyes travel down to my biceps her lips parting slightly. I chuckled. She snapped out of whatever trance I had put her on and glared at me. A red tint completely covering her cheeks.

"Oh don't fuss baby, I check you out all the time"

"Adorable. Little Hunter Knight hitting on the lost Costello" Dani clapped softly as she approached us. Dani was my childhood best friend who's also the most dangerous unarmed female I currently know, also the girlfriend of my best friend who also happens to run the Mafia gang I work for.

"Afternoon Dani..what brings you here?" Cas chuckled they've met not too long ago and Dani had tons of gossip about me. Although I was still cautious to leave Cas around her. Dani was unpredictable and I swore I'd protect Cas no matter what.

"Your sister rained fucking havoc on my estate the only reason I'm here is so we could plan her fucking funeral" she groaned as she got closer I gently tugged Cas nearer to my side "oh please Hunter I'm not a fucking maniac, I brought a couple of friends to plan things out..including" she trailed off as boy appeared beside her

"Miss me little Cassie"

"Quentin?"

"The only one" the man smirked. He had a lean yet obviously muscular physic. There was a dangerous aura around him that I couldn't quite point out...that or the gun sticking out the hem of his jeans. Cas pushed me to the side carefully before hastily running to his side. I clasped her arm before she could reach him and gave her an unsure look.

"He's my brother, Hunter, I trust him more than anyone..." she turned serious before carefully tugging her arm away to walk to the man that held open arms for her. I looked at him and sure enough he did resemble Cas. I have to admit what she said hurt me but I couldn't really blame her. I was an inexplicable d-bag when we first met and here I am now head over heels in love with a girl that packs more danger than a fucking drug lord.

"More than me" I asked stepping forward as Quentin looked me up and down and glared just as intensely. He pulled Cas behind him and stood right in front of me with a dangerous glint in his eyes.

"Who the fuck are you even supposed to be?" Her brother asked taking a calculating step forward and slightly shoving me. I held in a groan before looking at Cas who seemed to have found the floor as the most interesting thing in the world

"I don't know....who am I supposed to be Cas?" I asked getting agitated, was I just someone to cover up a hole left by her dead ex? A fucking tool to her plan? Just another person she could use? I had thought I was so sure of where we stand in this relationship but right now I'm having second thoughts. Quentin turned to look at Cas in question

"Cassidy?" He prodded before she slowly raised her head only meeting my eyes for a second

"He's my friend, don't worry about it Q....he's good help" she affirmed not even giving me a glance. She spoke straight faced not even a hint of guilt present in her features as she established what we were. I was good help that was all I was to her. Good fucking help

"That's me...I'm the fucking friend who's here to help" I feigned a smile before grabbing the territory map on the table and turning to leave. I'm pretty sure my chest was heaving with suppressed rage, I couldn't even look at her in the eyes in the fear I might lash out. I know I didn't ask her to love me...but for what it's worth....am I really nothing to her? Who the fuck am I kidding anyway. She's fucking Cassidy Hale or Caszandra Costello or whoever the fuck she is. She could be whoever she want. I know I love her. I know she doesn't love me. She made that pretty clear. We're friends, I'm good help.

"Hunter wait" she spoke I stopped but I didn't turn around. "I-I ...we uhh hurry back I need more Intel on what's going on within the Costello estate" she schooled her tone and said nothing else. I paused waiting for anything else until Dani began to speak and discuss some plans.

"You got it Caszandra" once those left my lips any conversation immediately ceased, even Dani kept her mouth shut. Maybe it was the venom in my voice or maybe it was her name...either way I don't feel guilty.

"Hunter" it was just my name but I could feel all the emotions she wanted me know. I scoffed and proceeded to leave.

"Don't worry I've got it. What are friends for"

Cassidy

"Quentin, leave us alone for a moment" Dani requested once Hunter had left. My eyes were still glued to the door where he had walked out. I couldn't take my eyes away.

"Stop crying" Dani deadpanned as she walked in front of my gaze. "Why'd you call him your friend?" I wiped my tears and schooled my features as I gave her a shrug

"B-because he is" I mumbled fidgeting with the bomb parts laid out on the desk. I don't even know shit about assembling bombs.

"B-B-B stop stuttering and tell me what it is! Hunter is my best friend and you....your his girlfriend. Your not the only one who does stupid shit when you're upset. I'm trying to run a kill op, I don't need my crew killing themselves over a lover's quarrel" Dani chastised slamming her hand against the table before leaving me in the chaos of my own thoughts.

Girlfriend
Kill themselves over a lover's quarrel

Quentin or Hunter.
I have to make a choice.

"Quentin!!!"