Ten

Steve's PoV

He knocked on the door, flattening down his uniform and taking a deep breath.

After a few moments, the door opened and Steve's jaw dropped. She was wearing the dress that she had worn over two years ago in the bar. His eyes widened as he took in the sight of her. The deep red dress hugged her figure, showing off her gorgeous curves without being risqué. The material fell perfectly, making it even more flattering. She looked gorgeous.

No, she looked flawless.

The smile that graced her lips when he met her gaze made his heart skip a beat. She was stunning. He wished he could draw her all the time - the woman who had stolen his heart - in an attempt to capture her beauty.

He grinned at her, his heart melting slightly as he looked into her eyes. Steve bowed slightly, holding out the flowers he had bought for her.

"Flowers for the lady," he said, smiling up at her.

"Why, thank you, kind Sir," Peggy replied, grinning.

She took the flowers from him and brought them inside, while Steve waited in the hallway, trying to calm his nerves. Peggy returned to the door shortly afterwards, purse and coat in hand. Steve took a step back to allow her out of the apartment and, like the eternal gentleman, let Peggy go first.

"Ready?" He asked as she stepped out of the apartment.

"I always am, Steve."

*

Once they had arrived at Murphy's and Steve had introduced Peggy and Seán, he left to bring their coats to the coat room. He headed back out of the main room and down a corridor to the right, getting lost in his thoughts.

"What would Bucky say if he saw me here with Peggy," Steve thought. "No doubt it would be somethin' bonkers, very inappropriate or down right embarrassin'," he chuckled quietly as he continued down the corridor. "If only he could."

Steve stopped where he was, putting his face in his hands, the coats over his arm. He had tried to put it out of his head, to forget what he had seen, but he couldn't.

"How was he there?! I saw him fall, dang it! He couldn't have survived it! No one could have. What happened? Why-" Steve cut himself off, sighing angrily as he moved his hands to his sides, fists clenched.

"No. He's dead. I saw him die," he said aloud. "This is just a sick joke. It has to be," he muttered to himself, pacing the corridor now.

Steve didn't understand. How could he? His mind went wild, thoughts flying left, right and centre. He was fed up of this. He was delusional. He had to be. It was the only thing that made sense.

He sighed, putting his hand in his head as he leaned against the orange wall. He needed to get out of his head. He brushed his hand through his hair and looked around him. He stood up quickly, looking down at the coats on his arm.

Damn.

He had forgotten where he was and was only realising that he was gone a lot longer than he should have been. Steve brought them to the coat room before rushing back to the bar. He took some deep breaths as he walked, calming himself down. He would deal with what had happened later. Right now, he just wanted to have a nice night and forget about it.

When he finally reached the main room again, he could see Seán and Peggy talking, but he couldn't hear what they were saying. He made his way over to them, sitting down on the stool beside Peggy when he got to them bar. He sighed, just wanting to get his mind off the mission.