Chapter 4: Under Pressure

A/N Okay - total blast from the past on the vid, but couldn't resist when I titled this chapter. Besides, it's Queen and Freddie Mercury was amazing. :)   For those who might not recognize the band (as incredibly shocking as that is) they also did Bohemian Rhapsody, We Will Rock You, Killer Queen, Another One Bites the Dust and a whole bunch more I won't list here. :)

==========================================================================

Lucienne sat up in bed, rubbing a hand over her face in frustration. A week, a solid frigging week and I'm still dreaming of those damn eyes. "I get it already," she groaned out loud to anything that might be listening. "There's something important about the man. Please stop harassing my dreams."

A wry smile drifted across her lips, Good thing I can afford to live alone. It's things like that which make roommates so leery of me, she sighed. In college Maria had been the only roommate that didn't get freaked out by her. She pretty much just shrugged her shoulders and took the attitude of 'whatever works for you.' And thus was born our friendship, she thought with a brief smile.

Lucienne sighed, her thoughts drifting back to her dreams. They're frustrating as hell since the entire dream is just staring into those golden eyes. I mean they're beautiful, but I have no interest in staring at them endlessly.

She did think she was starting to see past the surface a little, so that was something. He was adept at hiding behind the cold metal of his irises, but she just knew there was so much more to be found in their depths.

"There's hidden pain there, I think," she whispered aloud while staring into space. "Not just pain, but passion too," she continued talking to herself, a small shiver of desire running through her with that realization. I wonder what it would be like to awaken the passion in such a man... the thought came unbidden, and she was swept away in the tide of desire that rose within her.

"Enough," she told herself reining in her hormones. "If and when I see him again, he probably wouldn't be interested in me anyway." Her spoken words pulling up memories of rejection that were like a bucket of ice water thrown over her, washing away the heat of her desire as quickly as it had come.

Most people hearing her say such a thing would assume she thought she was unattractive or some such nonsense. Lucienne knew she was pretty enough. No, the problem was that she was blunt and direct, coupled with the fact that she just knew things about people they thought were secret.

Honestly, if I could get rid of that ability, I would, just so I could stop scaring people. And if wishes were fishes, the world would eat, Lucienne replied to herself. Come on, let's get up. The bed needs to be stripped and damn I need a shower. No time for pity parties, and especially not for a pizza and ice cream binge followed by all that quality time in the bathrooom, she shuddered.

Remember you're trying to give up the masochistic streak. She finished her self lecture with a laugh and headed into the bathroom, already feeling more cheerful.

*********************

Michael lifted his lip in satisfaction. All of Hayes' assets were frozen or seized as of now, and any acquaintances had been warned away. Not one of them was interested in crossing Michael.

All five mistresses had been taken care of as well. Simply allowing them to learn of each other removed three of them, and financial offers took care of the final two. Hayes was twisting in the wind alone and with nothing.

"Let the team know I will take him tonight. I want him to have the opportunity to try every avenue and feel just how friendless he really is," Michael ordered Elijah, making a mental note to reward his Made. Elijah had put in more time on Hayes than usual, feeling a certain slippery quality to the man.