My Benefactor Chapter Nineteen

My Benefactor

Copyright © 2011 crimsonnebula

All rights reserved

Chapter Nineteen

Vote, like, fan, tweet and comment as much as you want! 

Enjoy! (no proofreading done)

*********************

(Reagan's POV)

My conversation with Bryson had my thoughts working like clockwork in search for the truth.

It was uncanny for Purebloods and Alerians to fabricate a story that held great importance such as this, but for what? Hindering the descendants to know the truth? Too ashamed that such breed existed due to unlikely consortion? When my dad finds Sephrina's grave, I hope exhuming her body would give us something to break this prophecy. If she did have the journal with her, as what that trusted Alerian historian claimed.

Killing the ignition, I got out from my car and slammed the door shut. My spirits somehow dwindled day by day since the revelation. Each day when I wake up, I dread the feeling of wanting to kill the man I love.

"The one you love is the one you'll kill," I muttered sarcastically under my breath.

Funny that I still managed to conjure dark poetry lines in dire situations such as this, or maybe I had gone to the deep end.

Yeah, right. Maybe Derek would haul ass me to the nearest asylum.

I made a bee line to the front door and swung the door open.

"I'm home," I said, not bothering to sound cheery. I closed the door behind me and tossed the keys to table near the door.

"Derek? You home?" I yelled again.

A faint crackling sound trickled in the atmosphere. A blurry contour slowly materialized in front me and I could feel the energy nipping on my skin. The hazy image morphed into Derek, smiling at me in all his dashing glory. Talk about awestruck moment.

He had been openly using his abilities in my presence ever since I found out his secret. I'm still in the process of sinking in this preturnatural notions which, in my defense, still baffled me to no end.

"Welcome home, little one," he wrapped me up in his arms like a cocoon, resting his cheek on top of my head. "How was school?"

"School's fine." I said flatly.

He pulled back and frowned. I think he detected my lack of enthusiasm. "What's wrong? Something the matter?"

I sighed. "I had a talk with Bryson. His version of Alerian history was outlandish."

The very mention of Bryson's name had his eye twitch a little - lips forming into a slight frown. But the glint in his eyes told me everything what he felt.

Jealousy.

On what grounds? That, I had no idea. Though secretly, it thrilled me to know that I got a reaction but that hope dissipated into wishful thinking.

Geez Reagan, he was just being an overprotective brother. Mind out of the gutter.

"What did he say?" he asked, trying to sound nonchalant.

I scoffed,"The historians believed that Galerians are a result of a union between an Alerian and a god named Zeus."

It was Derek's turn to scoff. "What? They inculcated Greek Mythology into it? That's preposterous!"

"I couldn't imagine the purebloods version," an absurd idea struck me. "Maybe your version involves leprechauns and unicorns," I said, chuckling.

Derek glared at me playfully. "Then I would have a horn on my forehead and would stand around 3 feet tall, if that would be the case."

I laughed, imagining a mini Derek prancing around with a horn on his forehead. That would be a bizarre image, but cute as hell.

The sound of my stomach growling had my laughter die down - a blush creeping into my cheeks from embarrassment. Darn stomach.

Derek laughed with gusto, clearly amused with my bottomless pit of a stomach. "It's not funny, dork," I said glaring at him though the blush didn't went away.

He reached out his hand to stroke my cheek, looking at me with tenderness and affection. "I love it when you blush," he murmured, deeply enamored with my discomfort.

As I stared into his eyes, the moment had come to a stand still when our eyes locked and sealed. My embarrassment drifted in the wind as his hypnotic blue orbs probed into my light blue ones, searching; penetrating my defenses sending me to the brink of want-need.

If not, to yield to him.

Yes, I needed Derek to see through my eyes that I love him. With all my heart. Not as a brother, but as a man.

He leaned to me, putting his arm around me."Reagan," he said, his voice velvet-soft. "There's something that I need to tell you."

The moment was intimate; the world, the preturnatural realm, the prophecy - long forgotten as he softly spoke, voice tantamount to hot chocolate on a cold night.

I twined my arms around his neck and held on."What is it that you want to tell me?" I asked.

He slid his hands to the back of my neck and played with the fine hairs at my nape. "Today, I heard this  song in the playlist of my computer. The lyrics hit me that good. The part where they sang "God only knows what I'd be without you," he paused, gulping for air, "What I'm trying to say Reagan is that I don't want to be without you," he said, staring into my eyes intently.

I frowned. Where was this leading to?

"Your point being?" I asked.

He took a deep breath and pressed his forehead into my own - a twinkle in his eyes that held so much awe and adoration. His close proximity had my knees turn like jelly, as my eyes drifted automatically to his luscious lips that I wanted oh so badly to kiss.

He started,"Reagan, I--" but the moment was ripped off from us as we felt that familiar tingle nipping at our skin.

He let out a frustrated sigh as he let go and faced the incoming person who disrupted our intimacy -reality sunk in like gravity, grounding us back to earth.

The hazy figure formed into Cooper.

"Yo, Derek! What's..." he trailed as he saw me. His eyes bugged out from shock and mirroring my hilarious 'you got busted' expression.

That my friend, was a sign that my doofus best friend was just like Derek. A pureblood.

"You too, Cooper?" I asked, quite shocked that I didn't see this one coming.

Derek turned to face me, looking sheepish,"Sorry. I failed to mention that Cooper is a pureblood too."

Cooper looked like a fish out of water as his mouth opened and closed, no sound emerging.

I sighed. "Maybe we should go to the living room and talk."

                                                                           **********************

It took me an hour to explicate everything to Cooper. He was stunned beyond words can say, as I relayed how I came to discover Derek's secret and as of my own - a Galerian.

As I exhaust all the things that needed to be said, the only thing that came out of his mouth was "Wow".

Was that a good sign?

After his shock died down, he sat still on the couch staring at me with new eyes. It wasn't accussing nor judgemental.

It was one of awe.

"Dude, you're a descendant of the original Galerian. That is so cool!" Cooper exclaimed with such excitement, bouncing up and down the couch like a moron.

I groaned. Trust Cooper to think otherwise. The part where I mentioned exterminating Derek hadn't crossed his mind yet.

"Dude, didn't you here the last part? About me killing Derek?" I asked, clearly annoyed.

He stopped bouncing, the excitement completely wiped off his face. Now that was supposed to be his reaction in the first place. "Oh. Is there a way to stop it?" he asked. The dork finally caught on.

I shook my head. "I don't know. My dad is in Greece right now, looking for Sephrina's final resting place. He thinks the journal was buried with her."

He smiled sadly first to me then to Derek. "I'm sorry. This must have been tough for the both of you."

"You have no idea," I muttered under my breath.

A phone blaring out cut through the solemn semblance, alleviating the discomfort.

"Excuse me," Derek said as he took out his phone. He frowned as he checked the Caller ID. After the 4th ring, he answered.

"Hello? Oh, hi Luke, got any developments?" he paused then nodded,"Oh, I see. When? Tomorrow? I could arranged that. Sure. Thank you. I'll tell her. Bye," he ended the call and stared at me.

"What did my dad say?" I asked.

"He can't find yet the grave but he wants us to fly out to Greece, first thing tomorrow," he replied.

(Bryson's POV)

I trudged towards my bedroom, tired and longing for the comforts of my soft bed.

The talk I had with Reagan was nice. It felt good that we got the chance to sit down and have a decent conversation without throwing insults at one another. I was still in shock that we were kindred spirits, yet different in terms of gauging our abilities.

I am strong, not to brag. I trained hard to get where I am and out of nowhere, Reagan came out as the direct descendant of the original Galerian.

Should I be jealous?

No, of course not.  Why should I? It never crossed my mind about me being jealous of Reagan's lineage.

I had to admit that I still love her. The coward in me hadn't told her yet why I cheated on her two years ago. I wanted to clear the air and tell her the reason why.

I will one day. I will make that as my solid oath.

"Make her mine again," I added as an after thought.

I swung my bedroom door open and stepped in. I closed it behind me but when I took my first step heading to my bed, I froze - my vision locked on the bane of my existence sitting on the edge of my bed with a sultry look on her face.

"Hey baby," Ciara purred in her seductive voice. It used to turn me on but now, it repulsed me to no end.

"What do you want, Ciara?" I sneered, not moving from my spot. There was no way I'm coming near her.

She stood up, sauntering towards me and stopped a few inches away."I just came here to tell you something."

"Tell me what?" I asked, not afraid to show my irritation.

She smiled sweetly but behind that was a conniving she-devil. "That you'll end up with me in the end. Wether you like it or not," then she vanished instantly, leaving me puzzled as hell.

****************

Song choice of the moment:

Last friday night by Katy Perry

(Though this is irrelevant to the chapter but this video reminded me when I was in college. All the party and fun fun fun. HAHA!)

FACEBOOK FAN PAGE ON EXTERNAL LINK