Eleven

Peggy's PoV

"He's not you," she spat at Steve before she knew what she was saying.

Steve stopped swaying, as Peggy's words hung in the air. Her eyes widened as she realised what she had just said. She looked up at Steve, seeing pure shock on his face. She felt her heart speed up. She dropped her hands from his shoulders and stepped back, her brain going into overdrive. Thoughts flew around her head, crashing into each other, making her head throb. Her eyes moved around the room, trying to follow her brain and make sense of everything that has just happened.

Peggy didn't know what had happened. Her subconscious had spat it out before she had even processed the thought.

"He's not Steve," she thought as she slowly caught up. "Not Steve. " Her eyes moved back to Steve, who hadn't moved. "As in he's the perfect man, but he's not Steve."

She covered her mouth with her hands, as she was hit with another wall of emotion.

"As in I love him, but not like I love Steve."

She squeezed her eyes shut, hoping that this hadn't happened, hoping that she could forget what she had just learned. She buried her face in her hands, fighting tears.

What had she done? She had gotten over Steve. She had moved on and created a new life for herself with Scott, and a good one at that. Scott respected and trusted her, giving her everything any woman could have wanted and he loved her. And here she was, trying to figure out if she loved him more than Captain America, while he sat at home, nonethewiser.

Bloody Nora.

He didn't deserve this, nor did Steve.

She took a few shaky breaths, trying to compose herself so that she could figure this out. Peggy felt like she was going to be sick. What was she doing? She felt a hand on her arm and she flinched away, not wanting the contact. She looked up from her hands and saw a hurt and confused Steve reaching for her.

She shook her head, moving backwards. No. She wouldn't do this to Scott. She wasn't that type of woman and she would never allow herself to be. She loved Scott and she wouldn't hurt him. She wouldn't hurt Steve either. Not anymore. She would let him move on, let him find himself a wife, a new "best girl", and make a life with her.

She bit back tears as they threatened to spill.

Peggy's decision was made. She had made it a few months previous when she had said yes to marrying Scott. It didn't matter what was happening now. A promise was a promise after all.

Steve took a step closer to her, a sad smile on his face, his eyes full of unshed tears.

"Peggy..." He said softly, trying to get her to talk to him.

She shook her head again, asking him silently to stop as tears fell down her face. She couldn't do this anymore. She had to get out.

Steve opened his mouth the say something, but Peggy didn't wait to hear it. She hurried towards the door and away from her Captain.

She weaved in and out of couples, desperately trying to get to the door. She felt like she couldn't breathe. She needed fresh air.

When she finally reached it, she shoved the door open and stumbled outside. She was instantly hit was a sharp polar wind and ice cold rain. She gasped at the impact of the freezing water against her skin. She looked around her, but couldn't see much. The rain was too heavy, her vision blurred with tears.

"Peggy! Wait!" She heard Steve call after her, but she didn't wait. She couldn't.

She turned right and took off running down the street. As they icy rain soaked through her dress and saturated her hair, she realised she had forgotten her coat. It was too late now. She was already drenched. She would come back later to pick it up, she couldn't do it now. She kept running, glad she had worn comfortable heels, when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She stopped her she was and spun on her heel, ready to beat the living daylight out of whoever it was. In front of her stood a soaking Steve, with his hands up to show he meant no harm. The rain poured down his worried expression, drenching his uniform. He ran a hand through his wet hair, pushing it out if his face, while Peggy just stared. The rain had mixed with her tears, hiding them from view.

Steve opened his mouth the say something, but Peggy stopped him.

"Steve, I- I can't do this to Scott. I can't hurt either of you anymore. I won't. I'm sorry. Please," she said, tears falling once more. "Please, Steve. Just let me go."

She could see that Steve wanted to say more, but she wouldn't let him. She watched as a single tear made its way down his cheek, mixing with the rain that was already there.

She turned away and started down the street once more, letting the rain wash away her emotions and the love that she once had from Steve Rogers.