-33-

It isn't that easy, as it might seems; it doesn't take just asking to get answers. It turns out there are many protocols that need to be respected. Officers, or even any person in the hospital, won't share information to just anyone. There's a thing called confidentiality, and unless you are a direct relative, then you can't obtain personal information about a patient.

When James asks for Daphne Samuels, he is asked back what his relationship with the woman is. He can't lie and say he's the son, or some relative, because he will have to hand his ID and his lie would be discovered.

James is a really nice person, very asocial so the few social skills he has are fairly rusty. Hence, his lies, or any kind of deception, get easily caught.

We first went to the firemen and at that time he said he was Mum's son. They didn't even hesitate, they just looked him from head to toe and said, "Son, that woman was alone. There's no relative that can be contacted. Her only daughter died long ago. Now tell us what are you planning unless you want us to call the police."

Needless to say, we ran before he could answer.

It's obvious that after so many hours they made all the inquires necessary. Probably, even he neighbours explained how lonely my mum had been for the past fifteen years. And there's no point in James telling that I've been here all along because no one else can see me.

At the hospital James says he's a friend of the family, but that's not good enough for them to provide information.

"I'm sorry, kid, but we are not allowed to give that kind of information to non-relatives," the woman behind the desk replies, giving James a pitiful look.

"Can you at least tell me when her funeral will be held or something?"

"I shouldn't tell you this, but..." the woman takes pity of him. "We've contacted the ex-husband. Mrs Samuels's body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Cardiff, where he is living now. Her funeral won't take place here."

I can't say a thing and neither can James, so we just stare blankly at her.

"Now leave before you get me in trouble." James nods and his hand almost automatically reaches for mine. "My condolences," she adds before we take a step away and even if she is saying that to James, thinking he looks that devastated because my mum's death, in fact he's just feeling my own grief.

"Thank you," I say in a hoarse voice and then James repeats my words out loud for the woman to listen. She just nods with a tight smile.

Next thing I know, James is dragging me away from the hospital and doesn't stop until he finds a spot where we can be left alone, where no one will notice him talking to the thin air, and where he can hug me without anyone reporting him, thinking he escaped the mental ward.

I don't fight him when he wants to hug me anymore, even if that hurts him; instead, I just let him comfort me and make the pain go away so I won't hurt him any further. I'm numb right now, knowing that my mum's ashes will be taken away from Street, away from me. I know she isn't here anymore, but what was left will be in a place I can't go. I was hoping she'd be buried here or something similar so I could at least have a place to visit her, like normal people do. It's just a way to soothe the pain in our hearts, an illusion... but I won't even have that now.

"I'm very sorry, Paige," James says in my hair, hugging me ever so tightly. "I wish I could've managed to find out more."

"It's okay, you did your best," I say, pulling a bit back in order to meet his eyes and try giving him a little smile. "At least I know Dad will take care of her body."