Chapter 54

"What are you doing here?" Richard asked, as the door to his downtown penthouse swung open. Leaning against the doorframe, he eyed me lazily beneath raised brows while I tried to stave off the heat creeping up the back of my neck.

Ignoring Melanie's warnings not to, and against my own better judgment, I'd texted Richard as soon as Sophie left my apartment in the morning, unable to continue warding off the curiosity and concern that plagued my mind. Somewhat surprisingly, he'd been quick to respond with an invitation for me to stop by his place after work, though with strict instructions not to come over until it got dark. 

"I thought you said..."

Richard interrupted with a loud snort. He rolled his eyes. "Relax, it was a joke," he said, moving to one side as he held the door open with his foot. With a jerk of his head, he motioned for me to come in.

"Oh," I said, noting the drastic change in the actor's demeanor. Although I caught a hint of alcohol on his breath when I brushed past him, he looked as close to sober as I'd ever seen him. His pupils were a normal size and he only touched his nose to scratch the space beneath his nostril. While it was possible that he was high, it definitely seemed like he'd skipped his fix for the evening. At the very least, he appeared to be much less agitated than the last time we'd met.

I listened to Richard secure the locks on the door while I stood and marveled at the apartment's dramatic foyer. "By the way," Richard said behind me, "did Sophie get to your place alright?"

    I nodded, confused. "Yeah, how'd you know?"

    The actor scoffed. "Who do you think put her in a cab? Kelly?"

"Oh," I said, realizing that I'd never asked Sophie how she'd made it to my apartment. "Thanks."

    Unlike the starkness of Sophie's entrance hall, Richard's was brimming with color and mismatched decorations. Unsure of where to look first, I stared at the ornate chandelier hanging above my head and watched its twinkling lights throw shadows against the royal purple walls. Proudly displayed on a sleek wooden table was an African statue that appeared to have been painstakingly carved out of rich, ebony wood. Flanking the sculpture on both sides were matching blue and white porcelain vases. Polished to a shine, the gourd-shaped vases featured dragons soaring above detailed rooftops while men and women watched the beasts from their fields. Although I couldn't be certain, I was almost positive that I'd seen a news story about all three pieces selling for six million dollars at a private auction the year before.

    "No traffic?" Richard asked, bringing me out of my reverie.

    "Huh?"

    "You came from the west side, right?" I nodded and Richard continued, "Was there not any traffic? You got here in, like, two minutes."

"Oh," I said again, then shook my head. "No, not really."

"Cool," Richard replied, picking a piece of loose skin off his lip. He flicked it away. "Let's talk in the living room."

   I followed him wordlessly down a hallway and felt a second wave of awe when I entered the penthouse's main area. Windows stretched from floor to ceiling, giving a clear panoramic view of the city below. The kitchen connected to the massive room through an open door and a spiral staircase extended to whatever rooms were on the second floor.

"Nice place," I commented, noting the hint of embarrassment that flickered across Richard's features.

"Yeah, I guess," he said with a shrug. "Thanks."

Neither of us spoke for a moment and I wondered for the millionth time that evening why I'd messaged the blonde boy in the first place. Exhausted from staying up all night with Sophie, I should've already been asleep, not driving across town to meet with someone I didn't even like. What the hell am I doing here?