XXXIII - It'll Be A Slaughter

Chapter Thirty-Three

The next night, Klaus had decided to hold a little gathering with Marcel and some of his closest friends, which, unfortunately, also included Diego. He had been glancing over at me every few seconds until Klaus spoke. I was on his right side, at his request, while Marcel was on his left. Hayley was at the very end of the table, seeming miserable, just like everyone else.

Klaus tapped his spoon against his glass, then stood up when he had everyone's attention. "Let us begin, with a toast to our shared gift: immortality. After a thousand years, one might expect life to be less keenly felt, for it's beauty and it's sorrows to diminish with time. But as vampires, we feel more deeply than humans could possibly imagine," he said, gesturing over to a doorway, where a few servants stood.

The servants moved forwards, each of them with a nonchalant expression. That expression stayed, even as they each took a knife and cut both of their wrists, only to let the blood from their self-inflicted wounds pour into the bowls in front of each vampire at the table.

"Insatiable need, exquisite pain," Klaus said as the blood continued to pour. "Our victories," he looked down at Marcel. "And our defeats. To my city, my home again. May the blood never cease to flow," Klaus said.

"And the party never end," Marcel said, raising his glass. He looked over at Diego, who raised his glass.

"To New Orleans," he said, and at that moment, I knew that the two of them would never be submissive to Klaus.

We each raised our glasses, repeating the words before drinking the champagne inside of it.

"Now, I understand that some of you may have questions regarding the recent change in leadership, but I invited you here tonight to assure you that you are not defeated. No, my intentions moving forward are to celebrate what we have. What Marcel, in fact, took," he paused, laying his hand on Marcel's shoulder. "And built, into this. A true community of vampires."

"What about her?" I heard Diego say, and I fought the urge to roll my eyes as he pointed over at Hayley. "The wolf?"

I saw Klaus' jaw clench at Diego's words, right before his usual smug smile came back onto his face. He seemed to be getting more and more sensitive when it came to Hayley. "Had you let me finish, Diego, you would know that there is, of course, one further matter that I would like to address," he said, walking around the table until he got to the end, where Hayley was sitting. "As many of you know, the girl is carrying my child. Consequently, I trust that you will all pay her the appropriate respect. However, I understand that some of you are concerned by this vicious rumor that I intend to use the blood of our child to create hybrids. I assure you, I do not."

"Father of the year," Hayley whispered, and I couldn't stop the smirk that came onto my face.

"It appears I will have to earn your trust," Klaus said, walking back around the table quickly. "Very well. We'll eliminate the root of your anxiety. You see, how can I sire any hybrids if there are no more werewolves in the bayou to turn?"

"What? Klaus, no," I heard Hayley say as she suddenly tensed up.

"So eat, drink, and be merry. And tomorrow, I suggest you have yourselves a little wolf hunt. Go ahead, have fun. Kill them all," he said, looking straight at Hayley as he raised his glass.

The anger had begun to form in my blood, and I hit my hand against the table.

Hayley had been looking for her family for all of her life, and now, he was wanting to go and kill them. This would not stand well with me, or her. And I was going to make sure he knew that.