Chapter 46: One Simple Question

I hold my journal in my hands as I wait by Harlan's door. It was time that I let him go. For good. I just had to explain to him why.

Harlan opens the door only a few seconds after I knock. "I thought you might show up."

I only nod and glance behind him. "May I come in?"

Harlan shrugs as he steps away from the door. "Sure."

"So, how are you with all of this?"

"Cordelia." Harlan runs a hand through his hair. "I don't want to make small talk. I know why you're here. I'm also not an idiot. I saw Forrest bring you up to his room last night and I saw the way you reacted when you thought he was dead. An idiot can only miss the way he looks at you."

"Harlan," I say, unable to avoid his eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm so, so damn sorry. When I came here, I wasn't in the right mind set. I care about you, I really do... But I wanted the crown, Harlan." I finally look up at him, the sour feeling of regret taking over my body. "I manipulated you so I wouldn't rot out on the streets once I turned eighteen."

"No," He shakes his head, face full of disbelief. "You- You couldn't have. What we had was real-"

"Because I made it seem that way." I cut in. "I spent my entire life in a foster home. When I turned eighteen I wasn't qualified to live there anymore because I was considered an adult. They would have kicked me out onto the streets and I would have either died or had a miserable life. I researched for three years on selections and royals and the corresponding patterns."

Harlan gives me a look of complete and utter betrayal. "So all of this? Everything between us- Was a lie? Because you wanted the crown?"

"Not all of it." I add quickly. "I grew to care about you-"

"Care about me?" Harlan laughs harshly. "Really? Doesn't seem that way to me. You let me fall in love with you. You strung me along until the very last second."

"You don't love me, Harlan. You think you do, but you don't." I say in a trembling voice. "You loved me because I made myself become everything you wanted me to be. But I am nothing like the girl you think you love."

"No." He gives me a cold look, one I know I will never forget. "No, you're absolutely not. Get out."

"Just... read this." I hand him the journal but he just looks away and refuses to take it.

I walk over and place it onto his bed. "Do what you want with it. But I want you to know that I never intended for you to get hurt."

"Please get out." He says in a softer voice, still avoiding my eyes.

I do as he wishes. I exit the room and as I walk further and further down the hall, it feels harder to breathe. I cared about him so much. I just wasn't in love with him. I didn't like hurting the people I cared about or the people I loved.

"Whoa there,"

I hadn't realized I was gripping the railing of the stairs so tightly until Taylor came walking up to me.

"You alright?" She asks, raising her perfectly sculpted eyebrows.

I just shake my head. "Not at the moment, no."

She tilts her head to the side, looking uncomfortable. "You, uh, need help?"

I spot a glass of pink liquid in her hand and frown up at her. "What is that?"

Taylor seems confused at first by my question, but then realizes I'm talking about the drink in her hand. "Oh, it's a smoothie. Romeo likes those and he asked me to bring him one." She shrugs like it's no big deal. "He can't exactly get up and move."