Chapter Eleven

As I walk outside, the cool, crisp air hits my skin. Peeta is at my side, clasping my hand as we walk through the ruins of District 12.

District 12, the land that I once called my home, is now wreckage beneath my feet.

After I shot the arrow at the arena, nothing has been the same. The capital sent troops to District 12. They dropped firebombs everywhere. Killing over 8,000 people.

The only remaining part of District 12 is victors village.

I stare down at my shoes. A fine layer of ash and cinder settles on the worn-leather.

Peeta and I make our way to victors village, stepping over the remains of dead bodies, coal, and buildings.

As the arch way comes into view, memories flood my head. I start to tremble, and Peeta puts his arm around my small frame. He cradles me tightly, as we take small steps towards what was once my home.

As I enter my mothers home, everything is as I remembered it. Every single piece of furniture is in place.

I move toward the fire place, and I see the picture of my father. A tear trickles down my face. 

Peeta's strong arms wrap around me from behind. He turns me around and wipes the tear from my eye.

I grab the picture, and place it carefully into my bag.

I take a few more things. My dad's hunting jacket, my mothers herbs, and then I spot buttercup from across the room.

He is hissing at me as usual. Probably because he hadn't been fed in ages.

"We can't leave him, Peeta." I say as I pick buttercup up.

Peeta doesn't object. He helps me force him into our duffel bag.

"Katniss," I hear coming from our speaker. "Are you two okay down there? We're coming to get you now."

"Yeah, we're fine." I reply back. Peeta and I take cautious steps as we leave the house.

The hover craft lowers, and Peeta and I make our way up the ramp. 

Once we are in, I place myself next to my best friend, Gale.

Gale has been my best friend for years. I remember being twelve years old, hunting in the woods with Gale. He was fourteen at the time.  We taught each other everything we knew. Hunting together is how we survived. We both took care of our families. It was how we were supplied with food and money. 

"Are you okay?" Gale says in a concerned tone.

"I don't know," I say with a shaken voice.

Peeta puts his left arm around me, and his right on my stomach. He rubs if gently, and the baby makes soft movements.

Peeta and I have been married for a little over a year, and I am six months pregnant with our child.

Finding out I was pregnant was a complete shock, considering what was happening.

I was on my way to fight to the death in the arena again, when I found out that I was pregnant.

I went into the arena 3 and a half months pregnant with twins, but only one survived the terrors of the arena. Peeta and I were sure that we would die, and we'd never live to meet our baby, but Plutarch Heavensbee and President Alma Coin saved us.

They brought us and my family to District 13, where we currently live.

As the hover craft comes to a stop, I clench Peeta's hand. We walk together back into District 13.

The whole district is underground, in fear of bombings from the capital.

As Peeta and I travel up the elevator to our room, we stop at my mother and Prim's room.

As soon as we open the door, prim squeals and holds me in a tight hug. She says hello to the baby too, by placing her hand on my stomach.

"I have a surprise for you," I say as I take the bag from Peeta. I unzip, and Buttercup immediately jumps into Prim's arms.

I watch as a tears of joy form in Prim's eyes.

"Thank you both so much." She whispers.

She grabs Peeta and I, and embrace us both in a hug. We all giggle, and we say our goodbyes.

"See you at dinner, little duck," I say as Peeta and I exit.

Peeta and I walk slowly to our room. We don't do much talking.

Since the quarter quell, we barely talk. We just comfort each other, cry together, and help each other survive.

Silence is broken once in a while, to tell each other "I love you," or to ask a question, but after losing our baby in the games, it's been tough.

We had a small funeral. It was My mother, Prim, Gale, Peeta, and I.  I didn't think that I'd ever have to say goodbye to my child.  Peeta and I both thought that we'd just die in the arena, and never have to grieve.

Peeta and I enter our room, and I sit down on our bed. Peeta places himself next to me and squeezes me tight.

Tears pour from my eyes as I cry into Peeta's chest, soaking him in tears. After 10 minutes, I eventually start to calm down, letting out a small sob now and then. Peeta lifts my chin, forcing me to look into his gorgeous blue eyes, filled with tears as he hates seeing me in pain.

"Are you okay now?" He asks me.

I nod in answer.

"We have to stay strong for our baby. We can't give up. Not now. We've gotten so far. This baby has to be our number one priority.

"I love you," I tell him, not losing contact with his eyes.