Chapter Twelve

"Would Katniss and Peeta Mellark please report to President Coin's office?"

The words echo through all of District 13. Peeta stands up, and helps me onto my feet.

We ride the elevator down to the first floor, where her office is located. We are greeted by Boggs, a District 13 soldier. He escorts us into Coin's office, where I see Haymitch, Effie, Plutarch, and Gale.

"Hello," I say, as I wiggle myself into a chair.

Peeta sits next to me, and puts his hand on my stomach.

"What's this about?" Peeta asks.

"We have a proposal," Coin says as she pulls out some files. "We want you, Katniss to lead our rebellion. To be our Mockingjay."

My hands immediately fall to my stomach. "Your what?"

"Our Mockingjay. You will lead us to victory. You will destroy the capital, leaving a peaceful world for all of us. We needed you to see what they did to District 12, so you'd agree to help us, and make a difference."

I toggle with my finger nails and try to think of a response. "And what about our baby? I don't want to risk putting him or her in danger."

"We will keep you perfectly safe. We just need you to do promos, videos, and show Snow that 13 is alive and well."

"I. I'll have to think about it. I'm six months pregnant, and I don't want to be putting my child in any more danger than it already has been put through. It's a miracle that it's alive, and I just don't know."

I start to cry, and Peeta wraps his arm around me, massaging my neck and trying to calm me down.

"What about me?" Peeta says.

"You will be with her the whole time. You will be a team. You won't leave each other's side."

Peeta gives me a look of consideration.

"Well, I'll talk to Katniss. And if we agree, there have to be some terms."

Coin agrees, and sends us on our way.

***

As Peeta and I are laying in bed, all I can think about is our future. What will happen with this baby? Will the rebellion ever be over?

"Peeta," I whisper.

"Yeah?" He replies.

"What's going to happen if we agree to do this? What if we lose another child? What if I lose you."

Peeta cuts me off.

"Katniss, I would never let anything ever happen to you. If we agree, we could change Panem forever. We could kill Snow and reconstruct District 12. We could go home."

I lift myself up, and I see that there are tears flowing from Peeta's eyes.

"It's okay, honey," I whisper. "Everything will be fine."

I wasn't used to comforting Peeta when he cried.  Peeta was always comforting me.  My emotions had been all over the place, and I cried at least once a day.

"Let's do it." I whisper into his ear.

He sits up, and looks me straight in the eyes.

"Katniss, if you don't want to, we don't have to.

"You're right," I say. "We need to change Panem for the better."

Peeta gives me a slight grin. "What will the terms be?"

I giggle a little. "Well," I say sarcastically. "We need a whole floor to ourselves, where we have luxuries of baths, all the food in the world, and can have all the fun we want. Also, you have to have sex with me every single night."

Peeta laughs out loud. "Well, Mrs. Mellark, I don't think they'll give us the whole floor, but I'd be happy to do that last thing."

I smile, and kiss Peeta on the lips.

"Honestly, I just want to make sure that my family, Gale, you, and the baby are safe.

"What about you?" Peeta asks.

"Me too," I say assuringly. "And also, Prim needs to be able to keep her cat."

Peeta lets out a small chuckle.

"Lastly, I want the remaining victors to be saved from the capital."

"I was thinking the same thing," Peeta says.

"Now," I say. "Remember that last thing on my imaginary list?"

Peeta smiles. "Are you sure? We haven't been together since.. You know, we made that baby that is inside of you."

I snicker.

"You and I both know that I am not very pure anymore. I think I'm ready," I say.

Peeta smiles wide at me, and leans in for a kiss.

The kiss then turns French, and I feel Peeta's tongue explore my mouth. We don't pull away until we need air.

"Will you unzip me?" I say, as Peeta is already doing it.

He practically rips my jump suit off, and he rips his off too. He pushes me down on the bed, and enters me from the front.

I gasp, and Peeta pulls out right away.

"Are you okay?" He says.

"Yes, Peeta! I'm fine! It's just been a long time."

"Do you think we're going to hurt the baby?" He asks.

"We're not, Peeta. It's in my stomach. It's not like I'm in labour, come on!"  I start to giggle.

"You're so over protective of us," I say.

Peeta smirks, and then enters me again.