Chapter Fourteen

And that is when my life is changed forever.

I watch as hover crafts circle around us, dropping people from the air in parachutes. One by one they run towards us, mostly targeting me.

As a peacekeeper approaches me with a knife, Peeta jumps in front of me.

"Peeta!" I scream.

But it's too late. They have already grabbed him and have taken him up to the hovercraft.

"No!" I scream as a fall to my knees. I start to bawl, and Gale comes over and tries to help me up.

"Get off of me!" I scream as I throw myself out of his arms.

"Katniss!"I hear from above me. "We have to get out of here!"

The District 13 hover craft lands, and I am forced in. I am kicking and screaming and trying to free myself from Gale's arms.

As soon as I free myself, I immediately go after Boggs and Cressida. "Look what you did! You liars! You're just as bad as Haymitch! You promised me. You all did. I will not be your mockingjay anymore!"

Boggs pushes me away, and then injects me with something into my arm.

***

I wake up in the same hospital room as I did when I returned from the quarter quell.

I look to my right and I see Haymitch and Gale sitting on a bench.

I immediately sit up.

"What did they do to me?" I say as I pull the IV out of my hand. I look down at my stomach, and it is still the same.

"You need to get Peeta." I barely get out before breaking down in tears again.

"It's okay, Katniss," Haymitch whispers.

He never calls me Katniss. It's always "sweetheart."  He only calls me Katniss when it's serious.

"I need to speak to president coin," I say as I rise out of the hospital bed.

Before either one of them can stop me, I'm running straight to her office.

I barge in the door, and I see her and Plutarch discussing something.

"You promised me!"

"Katniss, calm down!" Plutarch says as he summons me in. "Take a seat."

I start to shake, and tears flow from my eyes. "You're a liar!" I say in between sobs.

Plutarch stands up. "Would you stop?!" He screams.

I try to calm myself down, and sit in silence.

"We are sending troops to the capital to save the remaining victors, which includes Peeta." Plutarch says. "We don't know when, but we are doing it as soon as possible.

"They could kill him beforehand." I start. "Do you not understand that I am pregnant with his baby?!" I scream, tears pouring from my eyes.

"Yes, we understand." Coin says.

"Do you have children? Or did you once have children? Did you have a husband? Do you have any idea the pain that I am feeling?"

"You may go now, Mrs. Mellark."

"No! You will not dismiss me. I have a right to be here. You will get Peeta out or you will find yourself another mockingjay."

I storm out the door and run into Haymitch. "All anyone does is lie. I'm sick of it. I'm done eating. I'm done moving. I'm done breathing. I can't live like this anymore. I'm done. Goodbye, Haymitch."

Haymitch looks at me as if I am crazy. "Katniss don't you even think about it."

"Gale!" Haymitch screams. "I need help!"

Gale comes running down the hallway straight towards us. I see Haymitch whisper something to him, and he picks me up.

"Put me down!" I screech. "Get away from me!"

Boggs notices the chaos, and comes running towards us. "What's going on?"

"It's Katniss." Gale cries. "She's trying to hurt herself."

Boggs gives Gale a confused look, and then helps him with me. I struggle for freedom, but it's not worth it.

"Get her to the hospital," Boggs says.

"No!" I say. "Get away from me. I want to die. I can't do this!" I cry.

And that's when I'm knocked out by Boggs, yet again.