Part Three: Winter

A.N. Hayoo xD

Third part! Tomorrow I'm posting the whole story, so expect that, muhaha. Thanks for reading in advance :3

**********************************************************************

Ash loves Gary in the winter.

He loves the smell of Gary's delicious hot chocolates; its cocoa scent diffusing all over their dining room. He loves the smell of chicken soups and vanilla porridges, both tasty meals to warm one's frosty soul.

He loves the way Gary looks in his favourite indigo fleece coat, all fluffed up and snuggly, like a child's huggable teddy bear. It's during the winter when Ash can't seem to let Gary go, always clinging on with a forceful hug. He wants to keep Gary warm. Keep him alive in the season of ice and emptiness.

Ash also loves the way Gary crouches next to the fireplace, like a bunny rubbing its pink little nose. A blanket is draped around the brunette and a mug of warm cocoa rests in front of him, still full. Ash tickles his sides sometimes, wanting to hear an expression of annoyance because Gary, stoic though he was, makes this pouty face Ash loved when he's angry. For some reason, the emerald-eyed boy has developed a resistance to tickling, since he never reacts when Ash does so.

Gary doesn't like doing field work in the winter. As much as the Pokémon Researcher hates the extreme heat, he also happens to hate the extreme cold. For three months, the Eevee Trainer opts to work on endless papers on his desk; conclusive papers for research he's responsibly done field work for in the warmer seasons. Sometimes the two lovers stay in bed all day long, just relaxing into the bedsheets, never moving. Whenever they go out though, Gary always wears uncountable layers to shield himself from the bitter atmosphere, earning himself the nickname of "overcoated Mareep" from Ash.

Snow is clearly a highlight of winter, so Ash often looks forward to a new day to step straight into the snow outside their home - the soft, soft icy cushion blanketing the ground in the early weeks of December. He likes to watch the snow fall or catch tiny snowflakes on his tongue. The Pikachu Trainer never fails to make at least one snow angel a day, while the brunette busies himself crafting an ice sculpture of Milotic or Gardevoir. Their front yard is adored gladly by passing neighbours, who say hi or bow respectfully to the lovely couple. They especially admire the accompaniment of LED lights pinned along the edges of a crimson roof.

An old woman once pointed out the magnificent sculpture of Ash with a big grin on his face, holding Poké Balls in his hand confidently like a true Pokémon Master. "S'he your best friend?" she questioned, old inquisitive eyes searching for emotions in cold jade ones. "I love him." Gary responded, despite the arching of the old woman's disapproving eyebrows. "I always did, and I always will."

Christmas days are spent in parties between old friends, because Ash believes in keeping in touch and long distance friendships. People Gary didn't use to know now welcome him openly as part of their wide Pokémon family. Drew and May give him a box of new journals, Cilan and Iris; a new lab coat, Dawn and Barry; a set of new researching tools and Misty and Brock; a joint present of a largely framed photograph where he and Ash both stare into each other's eyes, the expression of love evident on their faces. Gary actually tears up seeing the meaningful present while Ash tries to shush him with a hug. However teary-eyed the Eevee Trainer is, with Ash, Gary is never alone, because the ravenette has friends who care for the both of them equally no matter what the circumstances are.

Ash's New Year Resolution is the same as always: love Gary with all his heart, despite all odds against him. Every year he makes the same promise to the wind, and every year he manages to fulfill it. In his heart, Ash knows Gary is making the same wish as they write out their hopes for the new year at the Snowpoint Temple in Sinnoh.

After their traditions, Gary takes Ash skiing and snowboarding, who are joined by Barry and Dawn. Ash happens to be a natural in snowboarding; defying gravity itself by performing dangerous 360 flips here and there. Gary should be jealous of him, but the older boy is much too busy trying to remember how to skid across the snow without falling over and avoid turning into an icicle at the same time. The blonde boy and the blue-haired girl both assist Gary in skiing down a simple slope, with Ash proudly watching and clapping his hands at the bottom of the snowy hill.

Gary used to read to Ash when he was tucked in bed ready for sleep to come, because Ash loved hearing the Eevee Trainer's voice - low and soft like a sung love song. His favourite stories were about The Sleeping Kirlia and The Froakie Prince, and everytime Gary read, Ash would somehow ask for a kiss, like the prince in Gary's stories. Nowadays though, Ash reads to Gary when the brunette finds it hard to sleep at night. "And they lived happily after," Ash finally says, checking up on Gary who has finally fallen asleep. Ash's stories never have a "the end", because he knows the story isn't over yet. Even bad things happen in fairytales, like how reality never has a fairytale ending. Ash keeps this opinion to himself as he slides an arm around his sleeping boyfriend and hugs him close, never letting go.

Winter. The season of sitting next to a fireplace and enjoying a nice warm cup of cocoa; of snowball fights between friends and Christmas holidays. The season of endless white flurries of ice and cold hearts melted by a never-freezing love.

Oh yes. Ash loves Gary in the winter.

Despite all odds, Ash promises to love Gary, even during the cold days. Gary will never feel alone with Ash around, because he is surrounded by a love that ends even the bitterest of situations.