Chapter 26

Chapter 26

                Before Colette passed away, my mother and I would always go over to the Rosenfeld’s house to celebrate Christmas. Our family was never the most festive. My mother and I have never decorated a Christmas tree in our lives, and while our neighborhood was covered in glistening Christmas lights, ours had some green garland with red bows at our front door. That’s why we would spend the entire night over at the Rosenfeld’s on Christmas, all of our family members gathered together at a long dinner table, gifts stacked under the Christmas tree that let out an aroma of pine. Colette would go all out decorating her house, lighting up Christmas scented candles, hanging Christmas lights all around her house and buying packets of white cotton to act as a substitute as snow to put around her home. Spending Christmas at the Rosenfeld’s felt good- it felt like home.

                But ever since Colette’s death two years ago, Christmas’s have never been the same. The Rosenfeld’s haven’t hosted a single Christmas gathering since, and my mother and I would spend Christmas at home alone. We never did anything special- my mother just cooked a turkey dinner for the both of us and we exchanged gifts. After that, we would go back to whatever we were doing, my mother watching Christmas movies on the television and me going up to my room and calling it a night.

                That’s why I was so pleasantly shocked when I received a phone call from Mr. Rosenfeld the night of the last day of school before Christmas break. It was just a little bit over dinner time and my mother had gone out to the mall to get some last minute Christmas presents. “Riley, good evening.” Mr. Rosenfeld’s deep voice spoke through the phone. “Is your mother home?”

                “No, she just left an hour ago.” I leaned against the wall. “Do you want me to leave a message for her?”

                “Sure, I have some good news, actually.” Mr. Rosenfeld paused. “I know this is a bit of a late notice, but we would love it if you and your mother could come over for Christmas dinner.”

                I was a bit surprised, as I blinked with disbelief. I didn’t know if I was actually living in reality or that my ears were just deceiving me. “Really?” I asked, clearing my throat after I noticed how croaky it sounded. “I-I mean, that’s great. I’ll be sure to tell my mom that.”

                We said our goodbyes before hanging up. I put the phone down, supporting my weight against the marble counter top in the kitchen. I was feeling a little bit weary since I couldn’t remember the last time I had been happy during Christmas. I began to worry, since Christmas was just two days away and I hadn’t even gotten anyone gifts yet. I began to list presents off in my head, presents that would be convenient to get quickly at the mall. My mind came to a halt when I thought about Everett. I spaced out, unable to think about what to get for him. Every other gift came so easily to me- a dress for Maria, a pair of new sneakers for Max, a necklace for my mother. But, I couldn’t seem to think of anything that would be good enough to give Everett.

                My mother came back approximately two hours later, a layer of snow covering her black coat. Shopping bags covered her entire arm, as she let out a puff of air. She shrugged off her coat, dusting off the specks of snowflakes that attached themselves against her. “Was everything okay when I was gone?” my mother asked, hanging her coat on a rack by the doorway.

                I let out a low chuckle, turning my attention away from the dim lit television screen.  “Mom, you were only gone for three hours.” I assured. “Nothing happened. Mr. Rosenfeld called, though.”

                My mother raised an eyebrow, before taking a seat on the couch beside me. She reached over to the coffee table, grasping her hands over my mug of hot chocolate before pressing it to her lips. “Oh really?” she said, before taking a sip. “What did he need?”