7

Phillips wanted me on the transmitter today running today's operation. The Howling Commandos as they like to call themselves were going after Dr. Zola, Schmidt's top scientist and right hand man. They had burned a hole through Schmidt's defenses. This was one of their last missions. I was really just the contact back at base if they needed anything. I was only supposed to use this radio to talk strategy, or whatever, but I abused my position and talked to Bucky for awhile. I didn't think I would get into trouble, no one was in the room, and it sounded like Bucky was alone.

"The train is only thirty minutes away Buck, you should probably join the others don't you think?" I said into the microphone. I waited carefully for the scratchy reply. I hoped he wouldn't agree and we could just talk a little more.

"Aww come on Anna Banana, I've got time. We've got time." His voice sounded light and happy, something I knew he wasn't.

"Phillips is going to kill me." I told Bucky, and he probably would if he found out I was just having some every day conversation on the radio wasting the battery.

"Please, Phillips loves you. He treats you like a daughter." That was an exaggeration. Phillips did not treat me like a daughter, but I did suspect he was a bit soft on me. He never yelled at me, even when I had let the precious super soldier go past enemy lines. He trusted me with things higher than my clearance.

"Do you guys know what you are doing? Are you ready?"

"I guess so. I don't think I'll ever be ready for this. Jumping onto a moving train was a crazy plan."

"Hey it wasn't mine."

"It was yours to get Zola!" I did mention the idea.

"You'll be fine Buck, you guys are prepared and ready." I assured him.

"I wish I was there with you guys, Buck." I said wistfully into the microphone. Peggy was the lucky gal that often accompanied the Howling Commandos. I usually stayed behind and ran the missions from the base. I also helped strategize and design the missions. But I'd be lying if I said that I wanted to stay behind, because I really didn't. I wanted to run all over Europe with my best friends and kick ass.

"I wish you were here too Anna."

"What's it like out there today?"

"It's snowy, there's about a foot of snow down everywhere. Some parts have more snow and some have less, because of the high winds. It's windy here, but nothing dangerous, just a normal mountain winter wind. It's cold too, maybe twenty degrees or lower. The mountains are beautiful, it's a beautiful view I'm looking at now. There's just so many of the snow covered mountains bellow us. Everywhere I can see little peeks and, between those peeks the sunlight slips through. It's quite the view, but I don't think it beats a Brooklyn sun set." There was a long pause and I imagined him sitting down on a snowy mountain over looking a valley perhaps. It was cold, the wind was probably bitting, but he ignored it. It seemed like a beautiful view, but he was probably to nervous to really relax and enjoy it. There was a long sigh before he said anything in the radio.

"Anna, I have to tell you something—" I quickly turned around at the sound of the door opening, I quickly turned down the radio to the point where I couldn't hear it anymore.

"Phillips is requesting you. He said you ordered an uncanny amount of morphine, and penicillin and he wanted to make sure it was a valid oder." Peggy informed me, and I rolled my eyes. A super soldier would run morphine out of their system in minutes so we needed a lot to numb the pain.